Elvis Christ, Risin' Again





:: Death Ride '69 - Elvis Christ ::

I bought Death Ride ‘69’s first release, “Elvis Christ”, purely because I loved Bill Barminski’s ominous and grotesque cover art, both front and back. I didn’t, at the time, really like the music I found inside, so this album has pretty much sat untouched for the last 15 years. In rooting around for something to post to celebrate Elvis Deathiversary Week here at the Robot, I put this on the turntable and was happy to find that my musical tastes have obviously changed since then, because it’s not bad. In fact, I’ve been digging the EP’s primitive, sludgy dirges or “dark industrial psychedelic psycho rock”, as Mobilization Records labels their sound in the band’s bio.



Bassist/vocalist Don Diego and drummer/vocalist Linda LeSabre co-founded the band, after leaving DC post-punk band, Grand Mal, and moving to Los Angeles. The guitarist slot was left open for a rotating cast, Dave Haas being credited on this record. “Elvis Christ” was originally put out by Little Sister Records in 1988 as an EP. In 1989, Flipside released, “Elvis Christ: The LP”, with an additional six songs and completely different cover art.

At some point shortly after the LP’s release, Don Diego left the band. My feeble internet research has left me unclear as to what happened. I’d like to think that Don Diego donned a mask and is swashbuckling somewhere in the hills of California, fighting the good fight, but I think his reason for leaving was that he died.

A new line-up recorded an album called “Penetrator”, but it was never released. Mobilization Records announced that they will release it in 2006. LeSabre also put on one-woman tribal percussion shows as Beatmistress, and toured in the mid-‘90’s under that pseudonym with My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult. She revived Death Ride 69 in 1998, recording “Screaming Down the Gravity Well”, mixed and produced by Kult member, Groovie Mann.



Phil
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Tuesday, March 28, 2006 9:47:00 AM

I've known Don (real name Doherty)and Linda (she'd kill me for revealing her real name!) for many many years (pre-DC scene). Don left LA in the early 90's and moved first to Phoenix and then to a tent on some land in northern Arizona that his brother owned. The debauchery of LA had gotten to him and he wisely ran. But unfortunately it was too late as the sex and drugs had gotten the best of him. He died in late 1996. Even as I write this it makes me want to cry.

Linda is still somewhere deep in the bowels of LA. She has had troubles with the law and has gone deep underground.    



Tuesday, June 13, 2006 1:22:00 PM

I remember my last day in Los Angeles, late 1989. Don was really cool to give me a ride to LAX in his pickup. Really cool dude! May he rest in peace...    



Tuesday, July 18, 2006 10:51:00 AM

Hey Friend-o-Don, Please post again or email me. I love hearing from Don's friends.

patrick2623@yahoo.com    



Friday, August 04, 2006 5:08:00 PM

I met Linda and Don at the anticlub the weekend they moved to L.A. from D.C. (84), I am also from D.C. They were so free and fun and nasty! The last time I heard from Don, he was in Flaggstaff, no return address. He died not too long after that. I stayed in touch with Linda til some time in 2002, she stopped by at 2am in the mobil cubic zirconian lounge! Last time I saw Linda and Hothead the sun was coming up (just like the ol'days), hard to keep up with those gals. They were goths with a rock and roll sense of humor, Elvis on X. I think I had some of the deepest conversations of my life with Don and Linda in the wee hours of the morning frying on X and whatnot, dramaticly reading from Helter Skelter or making props for the next show.    



Tuesday, August 15, 2006 10:28:00 AM

Yes those x events were special. I met Linda in college in the midwest. After she moved to LA I spent many long weekends out there with D&L. My favorite x memory was a Saturday evening with Don, Linda, Laurie (Love Doll), and Richard heading in Richard's VW to a loft party somewhere downtown. It was around 1986 and we all had plenty o' x. Fabulous night with Don and some drag queens. So much fun.

Another memorable time was just Linda and I on our way to the Frolic. Took the x at her place then got stoned. She was fussin' over her make-up or music for the ride or something. We were very mellow and lost track of time. As we headed into Hollywood I couldn't feel my feet and was happy she was driving that Toyota. But then she couldn't feel her hands so she controlled the pedals while I leaned over to steer. All the while the Gun Club, Las Vegas Story, was playing on the cassette deck.

I last saw Linda and Hothed in late 2002 when I was passing thru Long Beach. Heard from them once again in early 2003 and now they are hiding somewhere in LA. I do hope she surfaces and gives me a call.    



Saturday, August 26, 2006 8:32:00 AM

Do you remember a night that started at "my" pad on Coronado? We went to some silly new club called "booth"? You were visiting from Chicago? You went to college with Linda?I feel that it is you. I think you liked to make little crosses out of chicken bones.

Boy, do I remember all the "fussing" that went on, that was most of the fun. I think essy X lovedoll is married and living in New Zealand? Buck (Don's replacement) is married and still in LA. Doran is probably still gorgeous in some nearby county

Dale Gloria is currently resurecting yet another version Of Scream club (at the viper room). the cramps and Redd cross are playing at sunset junction this weekend, good weather, should be a hoot. Wish they were all here! I think I'm going to try to contact Linda psycicly now.............    



Tuesday, August 29, 2006 11:04:00 AM

Is that you, Mimi? And yes you have me pegged, 'tis I Patrick from Chicago (actually I lived in Milwaukee at the time but have since moved back to Chicago). I remember that night crashing at your place on Coronado. I was wearing my contacts but had no container nor solutions so I put them in little juice glasses with water and then put the juice glasses on top of the fridge and hoped no one would drink them. The next day we went wandering the Hispanic neghborhood looking for "Law Stay Away" votive candles but I couldn't wear my contacts (for fear of infection) and I didn't have my glasses. Everythign was literally a blur. Drove back out to Linda's house in Venice carefully holding the glasses of water and hoping they wouldn't spill.

I think I still have a gift you gave me that night. You had been making polaroids and gave me a self-portrait. You're eating a red hot dog, talking on a red phone, and I think there's a red trunk in the photo. For years I carried the photo with me in my home made "Jim and Tammy" lunch box, a box that also contained my turkey bone crucifix. I had your photo for many years but at some point in the late 90's I think I might have given it to Linda.

I also still have another gift you gave me. You were in New York for a month when the Flying Karamazov's were at Brooklyn Academy of Music. Don, Linda, and I all flew in for a long weekend and we stayed at my cousin's loft across from CBGB. You gave me some Buddha cufflinks you found in Chinatown. I still have and wear them, tarnish and all.

I'll be out in sunny southern California in late September to visit my uncle in San Luis Obispo. Would love to see you again, maybe Sunday Sept 25th? Write to me directly...pwessels (at) sbcglobal.net, or at my yahoo id included here.    



Thursday, December 14, 2006 2:37:00 PM

Hey you guys, Just found this Blog... it's good to know that someone besides myself is thinking about those wild and wonderful adventures in L.A. in the late eighties and into the nineties with Linda, Don, Buccy Bono and all - I have been trying to get in touch with Linda for years, but can't find her at all. My last day in LA she was gonna take me to the airport (1998) but she was running late, so I had to get another ride so I didn't miss my plane to the other side of the world. Been here ever since. Got married. Got divorced. Moved 13 times in 4 states. Seen a lot of wierd shit. Checked it out thoroughly... Had a good life, but I Think I will do another trans-continental shift and come "home" soon. If any of you want to catch up, my email is: esseyfilmtv@hotmail.com
Hi Bono, Hi Patrick! Hi Mimi! Hi
I have some GREAT photos to share of many events, such as the CruciFUCKtion on Venice Beach one Easter Sunday with Linda, Don, Patrick, Bono and me! Wow. We "killed" the "bunny" on the beach. The onlookers were mystified. By the end of our swirling, manic, Psychedelic ritual, the yellow and white easter bunny was covered in sun cream and red spray paint, deflated hanging over the handlebars of Don or Linda's beach cruiser. What a great day of fun in the sun! Any of you who feel like it, Stay in touch. I would love to hear from you guys. I feel like an alien on another planet sometimes -here in Australia. Lovedolls are not widely accepted here on a cultural level. I was very close to Bono, who I haven't heard from in over a year, and Linda was my bestest friend. I miss her terribly. If by any chance you're reading this Linda, please contact me, LOVE, Essey X    



Tuesday, December 26, 2006 10:11:00 AM

Good news everyone! .... here at the end of 2006 I've been in frequent contact with our beloved and esteemed BeatMistress who is doing just fine in sunny LA. Feel free to contact me via email..... pwessels (at) sbcglobal.net be sure to include Linda's name in the subject line or I might just skip right past your message cuz of the huge number of spams. Patrick    



Friday, June 22, 2007 2:54:00 PM

It's very cool to find this blog that describes the wild antics and fun times of my late brother, Don Diego (Dougherty). Don passed away in Flagstaff on November 24, 1996. His ashes were scattered across the top of the tallest mountains in Arizona by his best friend, Dave. Don worked with me on a newspaper I published in Flagstaff called The Southwest Sage. Don wrote some of the best music reviews I've ever read and wrote a hilarious review of the Meat Puppets performance in Flagstaff in the fall of 1992. I would much appreciate any photos, videos and other memories of my brother that those of you who knew him best would be willing to share. It's been almost 11 years since his passing and there's not a day that goes by that I don't miss him. My youngest son shares his middle name and is one hell of a guitar player. Don , by the way, was an all-America swimmer as well as a compassionate, insightful, loving, funny and playful man.
Thanks, John Dougherty
jedtimes@gmail.com    



Tuesday, August 21, 2007 8:27:00 PM

I did the video editing on one of Linda's VHS releases which was mostly filmed at ClubFUCK! in very low light.

I'm sure one of two copies might be floating around.

Linda was and is most definitely an ORIGINAL.

JeffH in TX formerly of Venice
at Westminster and Speedway    



Saturday, August 25, 2007 11:19:00 AM

The Gospel According to Elvis...

1.THOUS SHALLA NOT STEP ONA THESE BLUE SUEDE SHOES

www.myspace.com/elvislilsister    



Wednesday, November 07, 2007 4:02:00 PM

Yeah...OH yeah....that's awrite mam mam mama aaaaaaah!!!!

mysapce.com/elvislilsister    



Sunday, November 02, 2008 5:00:00 AM

is it possible to re-up that file? i love this album... thx!    



Wednesday, June 09, 2010 9:12:00 PM

Well, suprise,.suprise. I'm sitting on my porch, waiting for Linda and Buck to show up for band practice, and I found this site on my phone. We have a band called BLRY for Buck, Linda, Rush, and Yuki (Buck's wife) who plays keyboard and everything else. Linda on drums, Buck on bass and theramin, and I play guitar. Lots of reverb and improvised vocals, me low, Yuki high. Hi to all who have used this site. You can reach me at or call or text 213-276-3153. -Rush Riddle    



Monday, June 23, 2014 4:32:00 PM

Linda LeSabre (aka Beatmistress) here. still rockin' the drums in L.A. got a kick reading these posts. thanks 4 all the kind words, cool flashbacks. tho not currently active, i'm thinking of reviving Death Ride 69. stay tuned! feel free to contact me w/ anything related to any bands or projects i've been part of, esp Death Ride 69 + Beatmistress. or anything Don Diego related, as well. lindalesabre@gmail.com + i'm on Facebook + have a Beatmistress Page + Group. - linda lesabre    



Wednesday, July 03, 2019 11:06:00 PM

nike air max 97
balenciaga shoes
yeezy boost 350 v2
michael kors outlet online
air max 95
vapormax
timberlands
gucci belt
michael kors handbags
louboutin shoes
   



» Post a Comment