Italo Disco!





:: P.Lion – Dream ::

I will proudly admit I had no idea there was a genre called Italo Disco that enjoyed a heyday in the 80's. I was a little aghast to learn that this song was quite popular, and that many French people would recognize it from some TV show. But the most disturbing thing about this song is that I now have its Cantina Band-esque horn lines stuck in my head.

This fella's real name is Paolo Pelandi, and the moniker P.Lion is evidently some homage to his family symbol, and the fact that he's a Leo. And, oh, all his real names start with "P." Personally, I think he could have done better. I can tell you one thing, every picture I can find of him has him posing with his chin resting on one of more of his fists, like he's Shirley Temple or something. The music is sort of like OMD lite. The words are about being in love on the Moon or some crap like that. I think it was supposed to be danced to. Or at. It's actually very catchy after a while, one of the inherent evils of dance music.



In my excruciating research on Italo Disco, which involved several keystrokes and numerous browser openings, I learned that Neil Tennant of the Pet Shop Boys always had a soft spot for it (STOP THE PRESSES!!,) that Laura Branigan's hit "Self Control" (remember the really creepy William Friedkin video for that?) was actually a cover of a song by a band called RAFF, and that Baltimora's "Tarzan Boy" also probably copped it's copious "whoa-ohs" from that same song. This knowledge is a terrible burden on my mind, and I fear I may never research again.

You may notice an abrupt skipjump towards the end. Even the recuperative powers of D4 couldn't change that. I think it adds character.


Tony
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Friday, September 16, 2005 10:03:00 PM

Whoa.. I didn't know the guy from "Perfect Strangers" put out an album.    



» Post a Comment