OK





:: Tragic Mulatto - St. OK ::

Here's another piece of vinyl that's been sitting in my collection untouched for a number of years, and for good reason. Hailing from San Francisco, band members Fluffy, Blossom, Flossy, Sweetums, and A Piece of Eczema introduced their bizarre musical stylings to the world with this Klaus Flouride-produced debut on Alternative Tentacles, "Judo for the Blind" (featuring one of the more gross album covers I've seen in my time; points for that). They come across mostly as a jazz combo made up of bumbling mental patients with farty horns and nonsense lyrics which are loudly read to us. Yeah, I get it - it's humorous and sarcastic; I just can't get into it for very long. Other times they've got a dark and sinister feel, like this instrumental, "St. OK," coming as a relief at the end of side one, because it spares us from more of Flossy's vocal prowess.


Phil
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Tuesday, September 27, 2005 8:40:00 PM

Damn, you beat me to it! (though I am surprised Fatty J. didnt sample it before either of us). I admit that Judo for the Blind doesnt get much spin around here - It comes out once or twice a year - but it is a fantastic album and there is nothing like Tragic Mulatto. 100 Ft Jesus is a great great song and every bit as relevant today as it was then. By the way, these guys were something live. Strange and wonderfully out there. Thanks for airing this one out.    



» Post a Comment