Broccoli Is It



:: The Association - Broccoli ::

Well, here I go trotting out another well known '60s band. What can I say? I'm old! The Association were actually a pretty cool band at one point, but ultimately were killed off by the likes of such "heavy" bands as Ultimate Spinach and the Fugs. Their first hit, "Along Comes Mary" was genuinely cool, and perfectly demonstrated their unique ensemble vocal style. Unfortunately, they quickly became saddled with a reputation for being soft rock, AM radio pop wimps, and as the decade wore on they found that rep more and more difficult to shake.

Not that they didn't try though, which made their later recordings all that much more interesting to me. This song, "Broccoli" was taken from an album that was considered an ultimate low point for the band. Doing everything they could to appear hip by 1969 standards, this song comes off like one of Brian Wilson's post Smile low points minus the genius parts. The word "daft" never seemed so appropriate, or was it perhaps some kind of joke? I don't know and I don't care, I'm just glad it's there. I dig it steamed.


Mike
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Saturday, April 04, 2020 9:39:00 PM

Stay abreast of news, today's news, breaking news, inquiry news, entertainment news, international and domestic celebrities >> News    



» Post a Comment