Got A Problem? Ask A Trucker





:: Richard Gillis - C.B. Santa Claus ::

Well, you knew there'd have to be a trucker Christmas song, right? This probably isn't the only one, but it's the only one I've found so far. This little number takes the heroic everyman nature of the trucker introduced to us in Red Sovine's "Teddy Bear," and combines it with the classic premise of Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. See, evidently Donner bowed a tendon (Wouldn't he have to be put down? Aw. I'd hate to be a dead reindeer named Donner. Think what could happen!) and Rudolph had the flu. So Santa beseeched the truckin' brotherhood to help him make his deliveries, and they responded as quickly as if, oh, say a little crippled boy had wanted some rides because his daddy can't take him on any, since he's dead. On this special day, the truckers and their rival smokey bears set aside their differences to work together in perfect harmony, and everyone got their toys. Yay.

Who the fuck is Richard Gillis, you may ask. Well, he may have teamed up with Jerry Goldsmith to do the music for the Peckinpah film "The Ballad of Cable Hogue," a good film as long as you don't expect the usual festival of gunshot wounds that made ol' Sam famous. He might very well be responsible for the song "Butterfly Mornings," which made me burst out laughing when I heard it in the movie as a duet between Jason Robards and Stella Stevens. Someone named Richard Gillis did those things. This here song was produced by Joe Saraceno, who definitely worked with The Ventures and Marketts. It starts out pretty smooth, but by the end it sounds like Richard was just stuffing in words every which way to make 'em fit. Kind of like this article. En...joy?


Tony
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Thursday, December 22, 2005 12:01:00 PM

I JUST BOUGHT this record a coupla nights ago. Do you shop at Amoeba Hollywood?    



Thursday, December 22, 2005 12:05:00 PM

I do frequent Amoeba Hollywood, but not as much for vinyl as CD's. I found CB Santa about 5 years ago when Rockaway briefly had it's little bargain store in back. I gather you found it in the Xmas vinyl section?    



Thursday, December 22, 2005 12:53:00 PM

Yep, they have a couple of boxes of 45s. Odd coincidence, I guess. Thanks, downloading this will spare me the trouble of recording it!    



Sunday, December 17, 2006 1:06:00 PM

i have been looking for cb santa clause for two years with no luck. my sister and i use to hear in when we where young and i have been wanting to get copy for her for xmas where can i get one email me troyedean@yahoo.com    



Wednesday, August 29, 2007 3:09:00 AM

Yes could anyone tell me where I might be able to download the song ( C.B. Santa Claus ) By ( Richard Gillis ). I have tried (Limewire,Napster,Imesh,Urge,Ares Ultra,360Share & Itunes ) I can't find it any where. Please e-mail at
( mail_box89-2@yahoo.com ) I certinal would be thankful.    



Friday, October 12, 2007 7:13:00 PM

You can add me to the list of people looking for this song. My first time hearing it was last year, where my local oldies station plays "The Lost 45s." Since it was Christmas time, all these were Christmas themed. I got a kick out of it, and would love to have a copy, but can't find it anyplace. If anyone knows where I could find this, please let me know at atariansun [at] gmail [dot] com. Thanks!    



Wednesday, December 12, 2007 10:35:00 PM

I have a copy of CB Santa claus being turned into an mp3 for my computer. psychoticauto@comcast.net    



» Post a Comment