Almost A Doo Wop Record





:: Karen Chandler - I Remember Dear::

I found this record tucked safely inside an LP by Hank Locklin, which I picked up at some used record store. "Cool", I thought, "a bonus disc". Upon playing it, I was pleasantly surprised to find it's almost a doo wop record, in a very white sort of way. Next, I fired up the old computer and started checking out the internets to see if I could find anything about Karen Chandler And Her Jacks. The answer came back, "not much". I did find some other people trying to find out about Karen Chandler on Genealogy sites and whatnot, and I was able to piece together the following facts: Born Eva Nadauld in Rexburg, Idaho sometime in the 1920s, she sang in Benny Goodman's band in 1946 using the stage name Eve Young. Later going solo as Karen Chandler, she met and married arranger Jack Pleis. She had a hit on the Coral label in 1953, "Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me", but that was about it. By the time she made this record for Decca, everything was rock, and she found herself trying to fit in. Anything for a hit.

Actually it's sad to find a record by somebody on a major label, yet you're not able to find anything about them. Of course there are millions of one hit wonders, and no hit wonders, and I plan to collect as many records by as many of them as possible.



The A side of this single is "Sail Along Silv'ry Moon", which is pleasant enough, but I like the B side, "I Remember Dear", written by Frank Paul and Sam Lembo. I don't know if anyone else has recorded this song, but it sounds familiar. Now I'm going to sound like one of those Genealogy sites I saw on the internets, but if anyone knows anything more about Karen Chandler or any of the other stuff I've mentioned in this half assed post, lemme know.


Mike
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Monday, January 09, 2006 9:08:00 AM

I've been to Rexburg, Idaho. Little did I know, I was in the famous Karen Chandler's home town! That doesn't mean I know anything about her, but Rexburg is on highway 20 between Idaho Falls and Yellowstone Natl Park, so let's just assume for vacations, the Chandlers loaded up the family station wagon, or perhaps Model T, and headed to Yellowstone. Aside from that, Rexburg is pretty uninteresting, so let's also assume that Karen's interest in music stemmed from the boredom she faced living in Rexburg, Idaho.    



Wednesday, August 23, 2006 6:32:00 AM

This from JCMarion's website "The Interlude Era" - if you want to know more please e-mail me at

m_narunsky@hotmail.com


Karen Chandler ©2002JCMarion

Karen Chandler was born in Rexburg, Ohio, and got her first big exposure in music while she was at Brigham Young University. She first received recognition under the name Eve Young with the Benny Goodman Orchestra. Her first appearance was on July 8, 1946 on a Goodman radio show singing "I Don't Know Why". On subsequent radio broadcasts, Eve Young continued to perform vocals with the entire band and the Goodman sextet. Her first appearance on record was on August 7 of that year singing "For You, For Me, For Evermore" on Columbia #36736. The flip side was "A Kiss In The Night" with vocal by Art Lund. She continued doing radio with Goodman such as "Magic Carpet Ride" for the Armed Forces Radio Service, and did an unissued test pressing of the tune "That's The Beginning Of The End" on October 15. On October 22 of 1946 Eve Young did the vocals on both sides of Columbia #37207 - "Man Here Plays Fine Piano" and "A Gal In Calico". Continuing with regular programs and "One Night Stand" broadcasts for the AFRS during the rest of the year. By New Years day 1947, Eve Young had been replaced in the Benny Goodman band by Jeanne McKeon.


In late 1947 Eve Young was signed to RCA Victor Records, but it wasn't until late on in the year 1948 that she finally found some success. It came with a bit of musical nonsense from the 1948 film "A Date With Judy" which starred Elizabeth Taylor and Jane Powell. Carmen Miranda and Xavier Cugat's Orch. did the tune "Cuanto La Gusta" which Eve Young recorded with The Drugstore Cowboys on RCA #3077. The record made the best sellers list in the top 30, and was followed by "My Darling My Darling" on #3187 on a duet with one of the Drugstore Cowboys from the previous release named Jack Lathrop. The song from the Broadway show "Where's Charley?" did a bit better than her previous release for RCA. Further RCA releases by Young included "Laughing Boy" / "I Can't Think Of A Thing To Do" on #3335, and "It's Me" and "Cabaret" on #3412 did not sell and so Eve Young was let go by RCA and faded from view.


Fast forward to the year of 1952, and Eve Young had re-invented herself with a new name - Karen Chandler, a new record label - Coral Records, and a new husband - Jack Pleis, who was also the main arranger and conductor for the Coral label. As legend has it, she was heard by Jerry Lewis doing an audition for a television show, and was steered to Coral. The first recording by this new team turned out to be one to remember. "Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me" on Coral #60831 (the flip side was "One Dream") was an immediate hit and soon spread across the country as a top seller. During late 1952 and early 1953, the record was a mainstay on the best seller charts for over five months, sold a million copies, and reached number 5 in the country. This huge hit was followed by a forgettable effort in "I Hear The Music Now" and "The Old Sewing Machine" on #60911, but in the spring of 1953 "Goodbye Charlie, Goodbye" on #60958 (the flip was "I'd Love To Fall Asleep") which reached into the top 30 best sellers.


For the rest of the year of 1953 however, Karen Chandler came up empty. "Rosebud" / "I Wouldn't Want It Any Other Way" on #60995, and "Transfer" and "Madonna" on Coral #61034, were both non sellers. "Why?" on #61088 with "Flash In The Blue" got into the top 25 in early 1954. Following this release, "Positively No Dancing" and "Hit The Target" on #61137, and "Why Didn't You Tell Me?" and "Out In The Middle Of The Night" on #61181, both were unsuccessful. Soon the rock years were about us and Karen Chandler had experienced her day in the spotlight of the pop music world of post war America.


Regards, Mel    



Sunday, September 02, 2007 12:58:00 PM

Saw your post about "I Remember Dear". One of the song writers, Sam Lembo, is still alive and living in Brooksville, FL. He wrote several minor hits in the 50's.    



Wednesday, November 03, 2010 10:07:00 PM

I found this post when looking for info on my great Aunt Eva also known as Karen Chandler. She was a beautiful woman from a musical family. Her biggest hit was "Hold me, thrill me, kiss me" a song that was later recorded by Mel Harris ( I think!? I was born in the 80's so I'm not as adept with songs of the fifties). I remember listening to she and my Grandma sing everytime they got together. Aunt Eva passed away today, I googled her to show my 7 year old her picture and to listen to her songs. That's how I found your "half assed post" I wanted to let you know I enjoyed it! Also if you ever want to part with her record I would love to purchase it! She's my only 'famous' relative :)
Thanks again!
Genevieve
Tommygenty@aol.com    



Thursday, November 22, 2012 10:03:00 AM

Tune Weavers - I Remember Dear - Casa Grande 4038 (circa 1957) is the same song.    



» Post a Comment