And Still He'll Stick His Fingers In The Fan(??)






:: The Lovin' Spoonful - Younger Generation ::

Ok, here I go again with yet another well known '60s band. I thought this blog was supposed to be about obscure shit? Well, excuse me! Hey wait a minute, why am I apologizing? It's (partly) my blog. I can write whatever the fuck I want. Hey, wait a minute. Why am I talking to myself?

Anyways, yes, the Lovin' Spoonful were a very popular and successful band in the mid to late '60s. As you probably already know, the band's leader John Sebastian went on to enjoy a lucrative solo career and of course he wrote and sang the theme to "Welcome Back, Kotter". Younger Generation was the kind of song Sebastian built his solo career around. As a matter of fact, he performed it at Woodstock a couple of years after this record was made. Although I really like some Spoonful pop songs like Do You Believe In Magic and Summer In The City, Younger Generation smacks of an embarrassing earnestness I can live without. Basically, it's like a '60s hippie wondering how he'll handle parenthood in the face of the current "generation gap". Whenever people start predicting the future, it's always funny to look back on it once that future is already well in the past, especially when the person doing the predicting is a dippy '60s hippie. There are some very laughable lines like,

"Hey pop, can I go ride my zoom?
It goes 200 miles an hour, suspended on balloons.
And can I put a droplet of this new stuff on my tongue?
And imagine puffing dragons, while you sit and wreck your lungs."

and,

"And hey pop, my girlfriend's only three.
She's got her own videophone,
and she's a-taking LSD.
And now that were best friends, she wants to give a bit to me."

Imagine, 3 year olds with videophones. It's absurd, I tell ya! In any case, the song is cute and nice and it makes me want to puke. Enjoy!


Mike
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 11:27:00 PM

Now that's one hideous cover.    



» Post a Comment