The Fox





:: Bill "The Fox" Foster - Bawdy Medley ::

Guys out there probably remember The Fox from his years on The Man Show, the old dude with coyote grin and funny hat who would lead the audience in a German beer hall chant before consuming a beer in one mountrous swoop, but few know what a legend this man was. He got his start working in Los Angeles pubs, before ultimately finding his calling in life: leading crowds in drunken and improper songs...at pubs. His glory days were spent at The Fox Inn Rathskeller in Santa Monica, at 26th and Wilshire, where he entertained thousands of happy drunks over the years. When it closed in 1989, The Fox took his act on the road to another crowd that can appreciate beer and swear words -- college campuses. During the 90's he moonlighted at other pubs, sometimes completely spontaneously, and our pal Mark caught him at the Fireside Inn a time or two, the lucky bastard.

This recording was pretty much self-made, no record label, and the only address on the thing is the address of The Fox Inn itself. It was pressed at Rainbow, which would have been stumbling distance from there. Production is credited to Jake Butts. They basically just let tape roll and didn't even try to edit anything, as it just cuts off abruptly at the end of each side. There's not even a date on here, but from the looks of the cover and one Gong Show reference made inbetween numbers, I am pretty sure it's from between 1975-79. I don't know why it was made, but I am happy someone was sober enough to get it done.



This sort of frivolity doesn't exactly translate well to record, and it's certainly a disadvantage to not be able to witnesss The Fox drink two beers in two seconds, or one while he stands on his head, but you can feel the mood of the crowd as they laugh and try to sing along, and every once in a while you can hear a thud that must be The Fox's empty mug triumphantly returning to the table, empty. This was a man doing what he loved, and not just playing the part of a drunk like Foster Brooks did, but living and celebrating it. They don't make 'em like The Fox anymore, and today's cultural climate doesn't really allow for this kind of fun anymore, at least not in big cities. It's off-color jokes, and old standards played on piano with bathroom humor rewording, and you kind of had to be there. Some are classics you've heard before, some aren't. The sides aren't separated into tracks, so I just took out some bits from the evening that give a sense of what it was all about.

The Fox lost his battle with cancer at the age of 68 in 2000, but he probably lived the lifetimes of a hundred men. Even though by appearances he might seem a lout, he was actually a family man who was a longtime member of the Chamber of Commerce. He was a community institution. I wish I knew more about him and the history of The Fox Inn, and if anyone has stories or more info, please pass them along in the comments. ZIGGY ZAGGY ZIGGY ZAGGY HOI HOI HOI!!

[gulp]

[thud]


Tony
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Thursday, August 24, 2006 10:54:00 PM

Just wanted to know if "The Fox ...Banned in Boston" was available anywhere ??? It seems to me that a CD remake of this album could be a hit as well as a lasting tribute to his comic genius.    



Friday, August 25, 2006 6:18:00 AM

Not that I could find. It appears it was a self-produced record, so I wonder if anyone even still has the master tapes.

And while it's a lot of fun if you like The Fox, I don't know that I'd call the recording genius...

Tony    



Saturday, December 30, 2006 5:06:00 PM

I have placed previews of the LP on my website along with scans of the photos of the LP. You can listen at the link provided.    



Saturday, December 30, 2006 5:09:00 PM

http://www.drinkingsongs.net/mp3s/1970s/1978ca-songs-banned-in-boston--the-fox/index.htm    



Tuesday, January 02, 2007 9:56:00 PM

What memories and what a time it was on Santa Monica Blvd back in the days.

My head still hurts from chugging those beers trying to beat Bill.

and those nodules on my vocal chords are still being excised by the scalpel while trying to outsing Bill.

I can hardly wait till I get to heaven to re-join in the fun and craziness.

Mike Levand
KC    



Monday, February 05, 2007 6:40:00 PM

I just found this site and really do not know how to use it. But I do have the Album. In fact a signed copy from Bill. It has been played only a few times and has been sitting in my garage for over 25 years.    



Saturday, February 24, 2007 10:38:00 PM

Oh, THAT guy!

You likely know more about him than I do - I remember seeing him profiled on that old TV program Real People, back around 1979-80. His nerdy appearance (kind of like a gnarlier Austin Powers) and that "ZIGGY ZAGGY HOY HOY HOY" chant he used to do before gulping down a whole mug of beer in less than 5 seconds stayed with me. Didn't know he was still doing that bit well into the late nineties.    



Sunday, February 25, 2007 10:06:00 AM

Thanks for the sound clips - what memories, the 70's at the Fox Inn 26th/Wilshire, Last saw him St Pat's Day 1992. He was a great showman. Is the album around? It would be a shame for these cultural icons to be lost!    



Tuesday, February 27, 2007 7:20:00 PM

great stuff at the fox inn...if you've been there, you remember a trick bill used to pull from time to time-he'd take an unsuspecting patron outside and next door to a fancy restaurant, open the front door and yell obscentaties and then toss the patron in and hold the door shut. funny as hell. i remember one eve when he went out on santa monica blvd w/2 mugs of beer and "challenged" a driver...classic-just wish i had the full mp3's of the album.    



Thursday, June 21, 2007 9:26:00 PM

I've been singing those songs to my 2 kids for 30 years. Now they'll finally get to hear the Master and hopefully understand the magic that was Bill...

We may not be able to go back there again, but hearing the songs brought tears to my eyes after 35 years, God those were fun nights....

Thanks so much for posting the songs....    



Sunday, July 22, 2007 9:22:00 PM

I had the chance to visit the Fox Inn on several occassions. Once taking my future father / mother-in-law with us. He enjoyed it / she couldn't believe it. The Fox had a special place in his heart for UCLA students (and he never cut them any slack). The thud you hear on the album is the mug hitting the top of the piano.

If someone can reproduce that original album I'll trade you any White Album, Doors, or Beach Boys. We wore mine out before I turned 35.    



Tuesday, August 21, 2007 3:37:00 PM

Where the f*&% is the Fox? I can't remember how many drunken times I've chanted that. Thank you for the memories. I started seeing Bill perform in 1990. I became friends with he and Nancy. I tried to attend as many shows as I could in and around the LA area. This man taught me how to stand on my head and drink a beer. I even met my wife at one of his shows. I'm holding my beer glass in the air for you Bill.    



Friday, October 12, 2007 10:46:00 PM

I was literally holding Bill's hand about 60 seconds before he passed away. He gave me away when my ex and I got married (since my father had passed away) and my son is named after Bill. Nancy and I are still very close. She has moved up to Tahoe and is enjoying life immensely without the hustle and bustle of L.A.! It's wonderful to see so many people show their love for Bill. He is definitely smiling down on us from Heaven! Ziggy Zoggy to you, Bill! (as I hold my mug up to the sky).

~Debi de Kanter    



Sunday, October 14, 2007 6:15:00 PM

I contacted The Fox's long time companion, Nancy Grade, shortly after Bill died. I thanked her for all of Bill's years of entertainment at The Fox Inn Rathskellar, Mom's Saloon, American Pie, The Shack, etc. She told me she still had a few of Bill's CD's and some poor quality video of a few of Bill's live performances. I asked her if I could buy one of the CD's and she said she would send me one and I could send her a check later. Unfortunately, I never did receive the CD. Now, I guess she has moved to Lake Tahoe. If anyone out there knows how to reach her, I would still love to buy the CD and any videos of live performances. Bill was a great guy and I had the good fortune of celebrating with him one night at the Pier View Bar in Malibu on his night off. If anyone knows how I can get in touch with Nancy Grade, Bill's family or anyone who still has Bill's CD's for sale, please contact me at StateTheMovie@aol.com
Thanks...Ziggy Zacky, Ziggy Zacky Oy, Oy, Oy!    



Thursday, November 29, 2007 1:50:00 AM

I would love to get a copy. I purchased the cassette after a show at the Inn back in 1978 or 1979. It has since been lost.

If anyone has a copy they would like to sell, please contact me.

Thanks,

Steve Stanczyk
info@safehaveninspections.com    



Saturday, December 08, 2007 8:01:00 AM

I am one of the lucky one's to have a autograph copy of this fine recording I will try in the next few weeks to get it recorded on a CD for all who will want it. The proceeds will go to help one of Billy's long time fan and a regular at the Fox Inn. John Scanlin who has ALS
Mike    



Saturday, December 08, 2007 6:44:00 PM

Thanks, Mike. I am interested in a copy of the CD. Please let me know when it's available. I would gladly contribute to Mr. Scanlin's cause. Happy Holidays!
cc@mdmag.com    



Saturday, December 08, 2007 9:00:00 PM

Hey Mike,
I've been looking for a copy of the album for a long time. I'm unfortunately much too young to have seen The Fox in his prime, so I'm looking forward to hearing the record in full. If you can get the CDs made before Christmas, I'll gladly order several as presents and support Mr. Scanlin's cause as well. Keep us updated on how it's going.
Thanks,
Jake
RttlesnkeWhiskey@gmail.com    



Friday, January 04, 2008 3:08:00 AM

Mike, I am also trying to find a copy of this recording. If you have been able to put it on a CD I will gladly buy one.

If anyone has a copy of this I would do the same.

Thanks,
Kyle

towliehatesyou@gmail.com    



Wednesday, January 16, 2008 1:12:00 PM

I was a regular at the Inn and there when the record was made. Occasionally helped out at the door and taken to "breakfast" at 2:30 am. with the crew. What great times we had!! (oh my, one St. Pat's eve when someone did the deed in the back..that's another story!). Miss you, Bill! Thanks for all the smiles!    



Monday, January 21, 2008 11:02:00 PM

o god i would love a copy of the fox's banned in boston... that could be the ultimate drinking cd. if u could email me back and let me know if there's a cd out tehere made for sale i'd definitly need.
a copy.

matt.conacher@hotmail.com    



Monday, February 04, 2008 12:00:00 AM

Do you remember those strings of lifesavers, with spider webs all over them, that adorned the chandeliers at the Fox Inn?

My friends and I tried to get over there at least twice a year to hear Bill and Nancy do their thing> We always loved the "Oscar Meyer" tribute that Nancy sang to Bill as well.

Please add me to the list of those wanting a copy of the CD.

Thanks Bill for a real piece of americanna. You'll NEVER be forgotten!!!

Max    



Tuesday, February 05, 2008 11:43:00 PM

We know where you're going, we know where you're going!    



Saturday, February 09, 2008 11:09:00 AM

Mike, I've been searching high and low for this recording. I have very fond memories of The Fox Inn from the early eighties. Please put me on your list for a copy.

Many Thanx
Peter
takespix4u@ca.rr.com    



Tuesday, February 12, 2008 12:00:00 AM

My 8 year old daughter sings "It'll never get well if you pick it, It'll never get well if you pick it, It'll never get well if you pick it, SO WHY DON'T YOU LEAVE IT ALONE!"

Thank you, Bill ... for just being.    



Saturday, March 01, 2008 10:39:00 PM

"I know a girl from old Kentuck. Censored, censored, censored..."

I stumbled on this site by accident and had to add my say.

The Fox Inn was a highlight in my life from 76 to 80. I'll have to check my fake ID to see how old my buds and I were when we first started waiting in line to get into the Inn. Does anyone remember Brice (?) who was this cool guy and a band member at Valley College back in the day who worked at the inn?

Near the end of 77 before the 78 Rose bowl game, there was a night at the Inn with UW, Michigan fans, and locals like myself that had this crazy night with the Fox.

Then, there was the Fox doing a private party in Encino CA n(JB's house). If memory serves, Bill started at around 6:30 and did 90 minutes. My Hboys and I were standing on a picnic table near the keg and singing loudly things like "incredible, fantanstic, no...., tell us about the MF."

Don't know how y'all made it home from those great nights with the Fox, but we made it, huh?

I'm tossin' one back thinking about the Fox. If you're so inclined, do the same.

after that...."We know where you're going"

240's Hboy    



Friday, March 07, 2008 11:30:00 AM

I dont know if anyone is working on it but if someone can make a copy of the LP onto CD I too would pay to have a copy, email me if anyone on here ever does:

craigclaridge@gmail.com

Have a good day!    



Thursday, May 01, 2008 4:33:00 PM

YES! Please add me to the list for purchase / donation. Thanks

tckkono@aol.com    



Sunday, May 18, 2008 10:27:00 AM

I just found this site. My roommate, Paige, and myself were found fequently at the Fox Inn back in the 70s. Just a little trivia, they only served light or dark beer. Also, this was directly across the street from the famous comedy club "The Horn", so when Bill blew his horn at midnight, he made various comments about the Horn sucks, the Horn blows, etc.
I also went out to breakfast at 2:30 am (just Bill & myself). Bill could not leave his act behind using his makeshift beer (glass of water) and introduced himself to a couple of girls as the worlds fastest beer drinker, then chugged the water.

I also would run into him at the LA Athletic Club, since he was a handball player. After handball, he would usually have two beers in his hand.

Another time at The Fox, Ernest Borgnine (McHale's Navy) was walking by going to the french restaurant next door. He could not believe what he saw looking in from the street. After his meal he came back and said he wanted to take our picture, held up a camera, and it squirted water out.

I also have a signed copy of The Fox album, but have not yet converted to mp3.
My email is brentearly1@yahoo.com.    



Monday, July 07, 2008 3:53:00 AM

Hey! I would love a copy of either a tape, CD or LP if anyone wants to send for a fee. If anyone has converted it to MP3, I am happy to download and make a donation on your behalf.

Cheers. Brad.

bdunn@purelogistics.com.au    



Wednesday, July 23, 2008 9:14:00 PM

Debi de Kanter:

It's Cesare, you may remember me from Webers in Reseda. Happy to hear Nancy is doing well. Next time you talk to her, tell her Cesare and Kim say Hi.

Cheers,

Cesare

Turnsix@aol.com    



Wednesday, July 30, 2008 6:04:00 PM

When is somebody going to produce already?    



Monday, August 11, 2008 7:07:00 PM

I just stumbled upon this blog. Oh my God, it has brought back so many memories. The Fox was a monthly ritual for some of us back then! Has anyone produced the CD yet? I'd buy it.    



Monday, September 22, 2008 9:19:00 PM

went to the fox inn many times in 1973-74. lots of beer consumed...i remember the pranks pulled at the restaurant next door. one time we got there before he opened...he pulled up in a caddy and asked us what we were waiting for. he opened up the rathskeller and we drank b4 the show. great fun. wish i could find that album i had.    



Monday, October 20, 2008 6:29:00 PM

Have known Bill since 1963. He and his wife, Joyce were open for lunch when they first opened the Fox Inn. They served the best hamburgers on the westside let alone (possibly) the world and roast beef, yum!! They were the most gracious, kind and fun people you could know. Even though they divorced, they continued to be a part of each others lives through their mutual love and concern for their children. Joyce continued to lead a full life and Bill met Nancy. (Glad to hear you made it to Tahoe, Nancy. Am happy for you.) I remember going to the condo in Tahoe. What a wonderful gift for someone who could not have taken that vacation if I had to pay for a hotel. Thanks!
If anyone is still interested in a CD, I have 2 copies of Bill's album and had CDs made of it for myself as I was afraid the albums might wear out. Would have to check with his children to see if it was ok to sell and if they would want the money to go to a charity of their choice (Bill, his brother, daughter and ex-wife all has or had cancer) or for it to go to John. Does anyone know if John Scanlin is still in need of financial support? Let us know if there is any interest.
We love and miss you, "Uncle Bill". Us.    



Saturday, October 25, 2008 12:16:00 PM

I've been searching high and low for this recording. I have very fond memories of The Fox Inn from the early eighties. And I'm still very interested in obtaining a copy. Please contact.

Many Thanx
Peter
takespix4u@ca.rr.com    



Thursday, November 06, 2008 10:10:00 PM

I'm still interested too! More than happy to cover any costs, provide a donation etc. Please contact bdunn@purelogistics.com.au    



Thursday, November 13, 2008 8:50:00 AM

I am WAY too young to have ever been to the fox inn, but I remember him form the man show. That was one of my favorite shows and the fox was a part of it back in 1999. Just another hero that was taken from this earth too soon.

I would be more than happy to purchase a copy of the album if someone is selling it, whether or not it is for a charity. Please keep us posted.    



Friday, November 21, 2008 5:12:00 PM

It was fun and interesting to read the stories of THE FOX INN and the antics of Bill Foster, as you folks shared your memories of him. I can just imagine what a great time was had by all every nite.

Here's my memory, to add to the collection.

I was there only one time, probably in 1987. I was visiting a cousin for the night, who lived only a couple of blocks away. He said he knew the place for us to go and drink beer. He said the name of the place was THE FOX INN, and it was just a hole-in-the-wall place, with a few tables and mostly standing room in the back.

I had the best time .... and of course we closed the place down.

I never forgot, when the girls got up to go pee, the song Bill "THE FOX" Foster started to sing, "we know where you're going". What a great time I had, singing and drinking beer. As far as I am concerned, the Fox Inn was the finest bar I ever was in and threw back a beer.

To top off the nite, as the Fox Inn was closing, I was some how right behind Bill Foster, as he, I, and others walked out the back door of the place. I said "How do you get a T-shirt like that". Bill heard me, stopped dead in his tracks, pulled the T-shirt he was wearing, off over his head, and turned around and handed the T-shirt to me. He then went to his car, a Mercedes, parked next to the rear door, and got in and drove off, bare chest and all. I still have the T-shirt and wear it occasionally. It is a light blue color, with a drawing on the front of "THE FOX" playing the piano and the words, "Ziggy Zoggy, Ziggy Zoggy ... Hoy, Hoy, Hoy". ( I think that's the spelling of the words on the T-shirt, as I see others have the words spelled a little differently).

I feel very lucky to have experienced the Fox Inn ... and now I am able to share this memory I have carried around in my head for 20+ years with all you fine folks.

And you all know, I would love to some how get my hands on the recording of one of those nights in the Fox Inn, "Songs banned in Boston" record or CD, so I could sing along with "THE FOX", for more than just that one nite still stuck in my memory.

Here's to the "THE FOX" .... Cheers

Auggie@ymail.com    



Thursday, March 12, 2009 5:37:00 AM

Finally found where we can grab this album....

http://www.folklore.ms/mp3/1970s/1977ca_songs_banned_in_boston__bill_the_fox_foster_(LP)/index.htm    



Wednesday, April 29, 2009 5:46:00 PM

I knew Bill and Nancy well. My buddy once dated Nancy's daughter Casey. On occasion Bill and Nancy would let us card people at the door which made us feel very proud to be real Fox "Insiders".

We held my best friends bachelor party there. A rocking night at the Fox Inn was truly a one of a kind entertainment experience. Often my friends and I would "challenge" Bill with the chant "5 against 1" "5 against 1". He always whipped our asses. Even when he was on his head.

He really loved his work. After taking a short break Nancy would sometimes send me next door to the fancy restaurant where I would find him having a drink of the hard stuff, so I could ask him to come back.

Once I saw him sneaking out and couldn't resist giving him a loud "I know where you're going"! He laughed and said "so do I"

Over the years my many friends and I enjoyed dozens of wild nights at the Fox Inn. We were in our early 20's. That we all remember him and love him and the memories he gave us is his living legacy. He will never be truly gone as long as those he entertained hold him in our hearts.

I honor Bill every chance I get by singing his songs which are burned in my memory at every gathering where drinking to excess is encouraged.

Long live the Fox! Love to Nancy and Casey from the fat guy in overalls with the really tall, and the really short friend!    



Thursday, May 21, 2009 7:55:00 AM

Hey guys if any of you have a CD, LP, or MP3 recording please for the love of all that is unholy...... sell or share them.


If you have a LP just contact me and I can carefully convert it for you and return it.


Like everyone else, I will pay or donate to get these.


Please contact me soon! Time is a wasting.


lewis744@gmail.com    



Tuesday, July 14, 2009 10:37:00 PM

Ive been waiting for a couple years now for someone to find this site that has this record. Many people are willing to pay out good money for a copy.

Lets keep hoping...    



Friday, August 07, 2009 7:19:00 PM

Fr. August the 7, 2009

We were there on Santa Monica at his last show. What a night, what memories! And she became my wife , going on 20 years now. What a blessing!
We mii you, FOX! And the blind girl that was also plaihn piano and singing, the eyeseing dog set at the foot of the upright piano...
Cornelius, Los Angeles    



Saturday, August 15, 2009 5:24:00 PM

I too have a signed copy of the album.. Until I read this blog I thought I had something very rare. My era at the Fox Inn was the late 70s thru early 80s. I was there the night they filmed Real People but couldn't get in because of the crowds. I stood outside like many others and remember the bright lights the taping crew used, I wondered how anyone could see inside. I used to marvel at the way Bill, while consuming so muuch beer, could still be in charge of all those drunks. I remember him signaling a bouncer to a situation he thought could get out of control. I would occasionally bring someone new to the Fox Inn such as a couple I doubled with. I knew no matter how much a puritan the woman was by the end of the night she was singing and cussing like the rest of us. Enviably they would apologize the next time I saw them but also would say that was the most fun they ever had.
I read in this blog about how The Fox respected UCLA. But I also remember the chant "FUCLA" and "SCHIT". I went to Cal State Long Beach so it didn't matter to me. It is interesting about Mr. Scanlin having ALS. My best friend and main companion at the Fox Inn died of ALS. I don't relive memories of the Fox Inn without thinking of Gary Bozzay, he introduced me to Bill Foster. Those are special memories to me.
Bob    



Monday, August 31, 2009 5:36:00 PM

Opps, this is Bob again from the previouse Comment. The TV show that was being taped at the Fox Inn was "That's Incredible" not "Real People"..... Sorry for the mistake.    



Friday, October 16, 2009 9:42:00 AM

Thanks for the memories. So sad to know that The Fox passed. I lived in West LA and went to the Fox Inn regularly! I, too, remember light and dark, pitcher or glass. That's it! I was bartending at an oyster bar in Brentwood, Central Park, and when I'd close up, off I'd go to the Fox Inn to tip a glass and sing some songs. I remember getting a phone call there once. That was the funniest thing. Oh, the songs! The laughter! The drinking! I have such fond memories...glad to throw my hat in the ring here with such heartfelt blogging. Good folks.

Hail Hail! The Gang's All Here...    



Tuesday, December 15, 2009 9:00:00 AM

I saw Bill at UNLV for the Octoberfest in 1980 and have tried to remember the lyrics to those funny tunes. this is the first time I've tried to find information about him online and was sad to hear he has passed away.
I'd love to see any video of him or even just audio. Where can i buy recordings of his?    



Friday, February 26, 2010 3:30:00 AM

there's a copy of the LP on ebay now
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150418135928&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT    



Monday, May 10, 2010 10:04:00 PM

I also saw him at UNLV's Octoberfest(2or3times). My brother, Dirk, actually tied him once in a chugging contest. I was just a teen with a fake ID, But it was something special to be there.
I nalso want a copy. Let me know how:jonnyrawcon@yahoo.com    



Friday, May 14, 2010 2:54:00 PM

Links to download the MP3 version of Songs Banned in Boston

Part 1
http://www.box.net/shared/rg3f2k8goq

Part 2
http://www.box.net/shared/cxxhmqhe9m

If any of you ever find more of The Fox's recordings, please make an effort, as I have, to convert and share them digitally.

The album Songs Banned in Boston had all but disappeared; this should never have happened, especially in the digital age.

Now future generations can enjoy these heartwarming songs!

-Dave    



Monday, July 05, 2010 9:32:00 AM

In he early 70's I frequented the Fox Inn. I lived in Santa Monica and enjoyed the Friday nites at Bills.

A great memory; My Uncle Bill (not related to Bill Fox) was a contractor who was up at 4am and worked until dark. I never remember him laughing until....I took him into the Fox Inn. Uncle Bill did not drink but belly laughted, straight sober through the evening.

Now I am in my late 50's and I was trying to remember the Wild West Show lyrics. No such luck, just small lines and memories of such laughter. I need a good laugh these days. I wanted to share the songs with a friend so I googled the Fox Inn and here are my peeps.

I also remember the Theatre ladies who would pass by and peek into the door, Bill would cry out "no waiting ladies, we have two toliets" and they would promptly scramble off red faced.

Thank you Bill Fox where ever you are.

Thanks to Record Robot for the insight to put up this site.

Ann from Clovis, where the hell is Clovis?    



Tuesday, August 31, 2010 1:17:00 AM

Oh we're of to see the wild west show,
the elephants and the kan-ga-roos,
Never mind the weather,
as long as we're together,
We're off to see the wild west show...


That was the chorus.

I have fond memories of the Fox Inn. I actually worked the door there a few times in the mid 80's. Bill and Nancy were wonderful people and I truly miss my time spent there.    



Tuesday, November 02, 2010 4:45:00 PM

Hi everyone!

Mr. Billy 'The Fox' Foster, you are the man! I only saw you on the Man Show, and researched you, and found this website and all your fans. I am currently listening to your music in Canada, New-Brunswick, and having a beer with you! Although, I can't chug a beer like you can, I still will say Ziggy Zagge Ziggy Zagge Hoi Hoi Hoi --- Gulp --- Bang --- Burp....

Hello to everyone keeping his memory and his awesomeness alive!

Cheers,

Canadian dude,

Luc.    



Monday, November 08, 2010 12:30:00 AM

For those of us lucky enough to have stumbled out of the Foxx Inn back in the late sevnties/early eighties, there wasn't a better evening to be had ANYWHERE!!

From lining up outside the door on Wishire Blvd, waiting to get in, to the smell of rarely(if ever) washed beer inpregnated flooring, this was THE place to be on a Saturday night, whether with a date or a bunch of buddies.

I would always marvel at those long strings of lifesavers covered in dust(and a few cobwebs) that were strung from chandelier to chandlier. The long Bratskellar bench seating with the red & white checkered tableclothes, gave your visit an aire of places far away.

The place was really small, probably 25' x 25', thus it was always standing room only. If you got in early enough, you could actually sit down at one of those long tables, but if not you would be standing up lined against the wall around the perimeter of the room.

The beer was watered down, but nobody cared, we were there to see an American icon who's reputation
preceeded him. He was bigger than life! Bill wasn't a man of large physical stature but what a booming voice he had. When his stubby fingers hit those ivories,
and that slight overbite started hollering out those tunes we knew by heart, it was absolute nirvana to everyone in the house!!

Nancy was such a wonderful counterpoint to Bill's burly vaudevillian persona. Yes she had a potty mouth as well, but in a more subtle, softer way.

When you were packed shoulder to shoulder just inches away from people who were complete strangers only a few moments earlier, it was alright. It was OK. You felt as if the Foster's had invited you into their home for the evening filled with laughter, libation & song.

In all the times we visited the "Inn" I never once witnessed anybody getting out of hand. None of us wanted the fun to stop, so we all kind of policed ourselves.

I would give anything...to be able to relive those evenings again.

I was lucky enough to have recently purchased a signed copy of The Fox's "Songs Banned in Boston" LP. So for the time being, it will just have to do.

Do you remember Nancy singing this one (or something like it) to the old Oscar Meyer Hotdog jingle?

"My boyfriend's penis has a first name, it's O-S-C-A-R,

his penis has a last name it's
M-E-Y-E-R,

I love to hold it every day
and when I do I always say....

that Oscar Meyer has a way with,
with my V-A G-I-N-A."

Bottoms up Bill!!    



Tuesday, December 14, 2010 7:57:00 AM

My memory of the Fox Inn was of going there sometime in the late 70's with my wife and another couple.
We must have arrived early because
I belive it was Bill who came over and asked if my friend and I would
check ID's at the door in return for free beer. How could we turn down that offer. So while our wives sat up front, we sat by the door and checked ID's; and we all enjoyed the show.    



Tuesday, January 04, 2011 6:58:00 AM

What better place for a teenager with an affinity for beer and a fake ID in the 1970's!!!! Snuck down there many a night during high school and college. And Songs Banned in Boston was regularly played at parties . . .

30 years on, when I get together with friends from those years, we all remember those songs like it was yesterday. Sad day when the inn closed. probably a starbucks now or something.

Thanks for posting this.

John in Massachusetts    



Friday, January 28, 2011 10:31:00 AM

"The Fox" was just another one of the unusual characters that graced the SoCal parade of one-of-a-kind odd balls that make living here a unique experience. I went to the "INN" a few times just to see the "Master Beer Drinker" at work. He was amazing! For those of you too young to have seen Bill Foster: Too bad, so sad! You missed it!!!    



Saturday, January 29, 2011 9:29:00 PM

It seems that there always was a super long line outside the Foxx Inn in the 70's. I remember sitting there till I couldn't hold it anymore and got up, only to hear "we know where you're going"; it was quite a place for some table clothes and beer... But the star attraction was always The Foxx
and it was hard to compete with someone who could, seemingly, unhinge his throat and pour it down the hatch. Someone should open another, but probably wouldn't be as good as the OLD 1970's FOXX INN; may God Bless you Bill, wherever you ended up...

Thanks for the memories,

Bill Wheeler    



Tuesday, June 21, 2011 5:01:00 PM

I mite the Fox in 1975. Walked his place, he was sitting at the bar drinking beer. This was the early after noon. My wife and I were the only customers. We thought he was just another of our beach community drunks. We were apprehensive as he walked toward our table. He told us to stick around the place would be packed in a little while. He then picked up our tab for the rest of the night. We talked a while more never finding out who he was and still thinking he was just a neighborhood drunk. The place got crowded, he excused hisself and said he hoped we would enjoy the show. He then got up went over to the piano and started performing, which was playing the piano, singing bawdy songs and drinking beer on his head. Everyone sang along and needless to say a good time was had by all. Stayed friends with for years. Until I took a job out of town. The next time I made it back the place was closed. Saw him on tv a few times, was very saddened by his death. He was a wonderful man.    



Sunday, August 14, 2011 10:01:00 PM

Mike T. Those crazy bawdy songs will be with me forever. I attended his show enough times to sing along to most of the lyrics and chants for them - I brought my parents to the show and anyone I could convince they had to experience this for themselves. Everyone always left hoarse and perhaps a tad over the limit and feeling great! Thank you Mark B. for convincing me to visit the Foxx Inn.    



Thursday, March 01, 2012 3:02:00 PM

Worked for free beer in the mid 70s. I was his printer and drinking friend. Heard him on the TV and when I mention to my son that I knew the Fox and had invited him to our wedding. He laughed. I told him to ask his mother, who liked going to the Fox Inn after we were married in 1975. My son looked at me differently after that. His father knew the Fox. Life didn't get any better. Someone sent me his obit and it was a sad day in beer land.
Charley Wallace    



Tuesday, April 10, 2012 10:09:00 PM

I was fortunate enough to spend many nights at the Fox Inn when it was open. When I heard this recording it immediately took me back. The Fox Inn was legendary and The Fox was awesome. I will never forget it.

RIP Bill.    



Sunday, March 03, 2013 9:09:00 PM

My fiancee at the time was going to UCLA and I'd drive down from Chico State to visit about once a month. We didn't know anything about The Fox Inn, but always noticed a long line of people waiting to get into that little European-looking hole-in-the-wall on Santa Monica Blvd. We decided that it must be something worth checking out so we finally Ventured in one night. It was pretty early and not much going on. Finally, the crowd was getting antsy and began chanting, "Where the fuck's the Fox? Where the fuck's the Fox?" He finally showed up and my wife and I had the time of our lives. We laughed so hard we cried. When she had to relieve herself after drinking a couple of beers, everyone stopped singing and began chanting, "We know where you're going!"

We only made it there 2 or 3 more times before it finally closed down. Definitely something to be experienced in person. We miss you, Bill!

Jeff    



Friday, March 08, 2013 7:04:00 PM

In heaven there is no beer...we know where you're going...give them my name and you'll get a good seat. So much goofiness. Michelle used to work with me in a radiology office and moonlighted as a waitress at the Fox Inn.
   



Sunday, June 16, 2013 6:53:00 PM

They're all out of paper in the ladies room, it's drip dry.

They're all out of paper in the men's room, it's BLOW DRY!!!    



Tuesday, February 04, 2014 12:53:00 PM

As a UCLA student, football and baseball player, frat boy and then later as a young working adult, a night at the Fox Inn was as much fun as could be had.

In my mid 20's 50+ family/friends and I chartered a bus with a few kegs of beer to take us from a home 5 of us were renting in Redondo Beach (called the Motel V as it was a way station for many young poor friends) to the Fox Inn. A few of us could come reasonably close to the Fox in beer drinking speed (but of course never beat him) and knew plenty of his bawdy songs and other off color ones as well, so during his breaks the Fox joined us on the bus for more fun. it was epic!...

30 years later many of us still eminisce about that 20 mile road trip. "Here's to brother Fox who is (still) with us tonight..."    



Thursday, August 14, 2014 3:33:00 PM

I do not take credit for this, but after doing a search i found a copy on a torrent site. So i downloaded it and uploaded it to Youtube so everybody can hear it and enjoy it. I tried my best to take out the spaces between the tracks. Not perfect but as best as i could do.

Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgrx_GYDvnQ    



Tuesday, January 27, 2015 4:12:00 PM

If anyone has his album or CD you are trying to sell please contact me at 248 632 9110 thanks!!
Marissa    



Saturday, January 02, 2016 4:27:00 PM

I have this record. I finally posted it to my vinyl blog today. It's autographed by Fox himself, and he signed it with a horrific spelling error. I assume he was several beers in when he signed it to whoever "DON" is. You can check it out here: http://rpmlibrary.tumblr.com/post/136492832532/bill-the-fox-foster-songs-banned-in-boston    



Saturday, January 02, 2016 4:31:00 PM

my autographed copy means nothing to me at all. message me what its worth to ya and we can work something out probably. http://rpmlibrary.tumblr.com/post/136492832532/bill-the-fox-foster-songs-banned-in-boston    



Sunday, January 10, 2016 10:19:00 PM

This album was FINALLY added to Discogs!    



Monday, August 28, 2017 6:16:00 PM

30+ years after my nights at The Fox Inn, and never having seen all of your comments until just now, I recently happened to write a limerick song for The Fox. Here's the youtube link...enjoy :) https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&feature=vm&video_id=p7UR-1pKRZU    



Wednesday, July 03, 2019 11:13:00 PM

offwhite
kobe 11
nike off white
cheap jordans
golden gooses
yeezy shoes
jordan shoes
adidas tubular shadow
yeezys
air max 95    



Wednesday, November 18, 2020 6:23:00 AM

golden goose outlet
air jordan
bape clothing
curry 7
moncler outlet
kobe byrant shoes
yeezy
kd 12
off white hoodie
stephen curry shoes
   



Friday, December 08, 2023 11:43:00 AM

Thanks for the info! If anyone still read this page?

Don't have any more info. But we were a bunch of Swedish guys working in L.A. in the summer of 1984. When we were in the beer and singing mode, we just to frequent The Fox Inn.

I remember the "The Schnitzelbank"-song, of course. And the "Four and twenty virgins". And sometimes The Fox pointed at you, so that you could sing a verse solo, which everyone in the bar repeated.

Bought a long armed t-shirt hoodie, that I still have. It is a precious memory from a fantastic summer in L.A. (and Santa Monica and Venice beach).

Other places we used to visit were the Ore house and the Music Machine at Pico Blvd. We ate at Carlos and Pepe on Wilshire Blvd. And at "Chicken on fire" (corner of Santa Monica Blvd and S Bundy Drive).    



Friday, December 15, 2023 3:36:00 AM

golden goose outlet
ggdb sneakers
kd shoes
jordan outlet
kd shoes
   



» Post a Comment