My Other Car Is An Albert Fish





:: Ed Gein's Car - Annette ::

:: Ed Gein's Car - Boo Hoo ::

:: Ed Gein's Car - Making Dick Dance ::

I remember picking this LP up in the early 90's solely due to the fact that I was a morbid fucker and I thought they'd be a schlock horror band, because, you know, their band name referred to the real life Psycho's car. I came home, put it on and was quickly disappointed. There was some crude stuff lyrically, but no schlock, and it wasn't FAST and it wasn't THRASHY, which, at that time, were my criteria for good rockin'. So this record got shelved and ignored for a good long time while I went back to listening to things like Danzig. Thankfully, I eventually opened my beautiful mind and freed it from such silly restrictions, and have come to rediscover and appreciate this good ol' fashioned slab of garage punk rock.



Making Dick Dance was the only studio LP put out by New York City's Ed Gein's Car, released in 1985. It was book-ended by a 7-inch in '84 and a live LP from CBGB's in '87, and then they called it quits. Scot Weiss’ vocals can be somewhat gruff, which I think I found off-putting the first time around, but I dig them now. I'm sitting here with my usual indecision in trying to figure out which songs to post - I'll go with "Annette," a nice little paean to Annette Funicello, everyone's favorite mouseketeer, beach blanket bimbo, and peanut butter pusher; "Boo Hoo," about NYC's vegetarian vigilante, Bernard Goetz; and the album title track, a real fine instrumental jam that actually makes Phil dance.


Phil
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Sunday, February 19, 2006 8:37:00 PM

I bought this album for some of the same reasons you did, though I wasn't listening to Danzig, so I enjoyed it from the start.

The songs didn't live up to the name of the band, or the album, or the cover art --- but again, like you, I just sorta had to put it out of my mind and just listen. Fortunately, most of my listening was done driving, so a quick TDK cassette copy later, I was off and running!

Thanks for the reminder of all things cool ---- past & present.

Ciao~    



Thursday, February 23, 2006 11:02:00 PM

One of my favorite records from the time I bought it, most likely at Rhino. I already had the single, two copies actually, cause the first copy melted in my car. There was a second 7" that came out after they had already broken up, and the singer & guitar player went on to be in Iron Prostate. I've got a demo tape laying around here somewhere which is where the songs for the second single came from. Saw them in CT in '88, and still have my t-shirt.
Strange Reaction has the first 7" posted.    



» Post a Comment