Swingin' Hawaii





:: Hawaiian Waltz Medley ::

:: Hula Blues ::

:: Ahulili ::

:: Hawaiian Fox Trot Medley ::

The days are getting longer and the weather is getting warmer, which means Tiki drinkin’ season is upon us. Actually, the winter weather doesn’t stop us Southern Californian robot kids from filling our gullets with fruity tropical cocktail goodness, but those Uga Boogas sure tend to be tastier in the heat. For optimum satisfaction, of course, you need the appropriate music, which is why I plucked this record out of the dollar bin a short time ago.


Released on clear red vinyl by Waikiki Records sometime in the late 1950’s, Poolside Music Hawaiiana features twelve Hawaiian favorites played in dance-time by Pua Almeida & his Polynesians. Almeida was a steel guitar player and vocalist who had a residency at Moana Hotel Banyan Court at Waikiki Beach in the 1940’s and ‘50’s, though he’s credited here as band leader, so I’m not sure which songs, if any, feature his voice and steel playing. I’ve become a sucker for Hawaiian steel guitar sounds of late and there are good sounds to be found here. Unfortunately my copy is a bit thrashed, but I was able to salvage some of the songs for your digital listening pleasure. Okole maluna!


Phil
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Friday, August 29, 2008 2:59:00 PM

Aloha Phil,
I hope that you are doing great. I was looking for the song "Hawaiian Fox Trot Medley" through the web but so far I didn't have any luck. There are other albums of Pua Almeida there but not the Poolside Music Hawaiiana. I really need this song and I was wondering if you could sell it to me: We can handle to pay you through paypal maybe and you send the song by email on mp3 format, what do you think? If you be so kind to replay me, whatever your answer is to my email: angelina.rosas@gmail.com
Thank you in advance for your response,
Tania from Mexico    



» Post a Comment