DW And The Dry Well Singers





:: Ruby Tuesday ::

:: Story Book Children ::

One of my great joys upon visiting Austin, TX this past March was the discovery Antone's Records, and one of their best features was an entire section of vinyl devoted to artists from Texas. Now you might think this would be mostly country records, and it was, but as I recall, there was everything from Butthole Surfers to Buck Owens (who was born in Texas, but raised in Arizona and of course put Bakersfield, CA on the map). In any case, it was great to browse records grouped together by regional pride, and I found this gem in the mix.

I wasn't much familiar with Don Williams or the Pozo Seco Singers, but I figured what the hey? And I liked what I heard: Straight forward country folk ballads free of frills and delivered with honesty. Reminds me of Texas.

The Pozo Seco Singers were Williams, Lofton Kline and Susan Taylor. They had some hits in the mid to late 60s, and then eventually petered out. Williams seemed reluctant to pursue a solo career, but once he got rolling in the mid-70s, he kept right on going until country became a whole different animal (read: "suck") by the early 90s, so it was time to retire.

This record is some kind of knock-off featuring late period Pozo Seco material, meant to cash in on Williams' early solo success. Regardless of the somewhat cheesy packaging, I dig every track on it, and gosh, I hope you do too!


Mike
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Thursday, June 22, 2006 2:33:00 AM

Don Williams? Check out the song 'Amanda' which is aforementioned country folk kinda crossed with the Beach Boys. I'm not at home now or else I would let you have it.

The song, I mean.    



» Post a Comment