LLLLLLLLLL AAAAAAAAAA





:: Possum Dixon - Sister ::

:: Black Angel's Death Song - Twelve Stations To Go. ::

Here's a little slice of early 90's Los Angeles rock history for ya. Now, I am probably one of the last people who should be writing about Possum Dixon, as I can only remember owning their self-titled CD, after rescuing it from a Wherehouse bargain bin in Santa Rosa. Those were the days of $3 CD's and Red Dog for me, and I am sad to report that I can remember the taste of Red Dog ($3.99 for a twelve pack -- bottles!), but not too much about Possum Dixon. Basically, they were a group of regular joes with day jobs who gigged their way into a major label deal, a nice little rock n' roll success story.

This split 7", diplomatically titled a "Double A Side," features the Dixon on one side, and a band called Black Angel's Death Song on the other. All I can tell you about Black Angel's Death Song is that I know where they probably got their name, and that if they went just by their acronym they would've been filed next to Big Audio Dynamite at your local Tower Records.

I don't remember Possum Dixon sounding like this, but this was early on for them, when bands tend to sound a little rougher and tougher. I dig the raw and discordant sound of "Sister." BADS' tune sounds just about how I'd have guessed a band with their name might sound, and that's not a bad thing by any stretch. I apologize for the sound quality -- I can't tell if this is just a crap pressing, if my copy is wonky, or if something more sinister is afoot.


Tony
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Friday, June 16, 2006 11:52:00 AM

Thank you for this Tony. Prompted me to dust off the self-titled CD you mention, and give it a spin for the 1st time in probably 10 years. Next thing I know, Jess and I are dancing around the apartment naked singing "Watch the Girl Destroy Me." No jokes. Except for the naked-ness part.

Had never heard "Sister" before.

Thanks again...Gary    



Thursday, April 19, 2007 7:56:00 AM

what a gaaaaaaaay.


havent even read what yer stupid blog says.

ARSEHOLE!    



» Post a Comment