Vacation.





:: Japanese Doll ::

:: Hawaii ::

Ah, Hawaii. I've never been there. And I'm not going there any time soon. I am, however, going on vacation to the next best hot spot destinations, Iowa and Minnesota. So this will be the last post on The Robot until next week. I mean, the other guys are around, but I haven't shown them the excitement of how I put up posts on Blogger, or how to deftly wrangle an FTP program. In fact, I am only taking time to do this post because Phil was worried y'all would have to look at a Chuck Woolery piece every time someone came here. So when we're done here today, go read Crud Crud, Pop Zeus, and Funky 16 Corners, they'll take care of ya until we get back .

This is another one of those records that came out on the 49th State Record Co. imprint. If vocalist Bob Grabeau's baritone were to be a physical movement, it would be a wink. You can practically see him gazing into a woman's eyes from across a lounge, just by hearing his voice. He's smooth. The arrangement and orchestra conducting were handled (a-side and b-side respectively) by Lou Halmy and Danny Gould, both respected members of the Local 47 who did a lifetime of this sort of thing. "Hawaii" sounds like an airline ad, and for all I know, it was. It's pretty run of the mill, except for the sweet whistling bit. The real gem here is "Japanese Doll," which doesn't exactly break any new ground in the ode-to-a-lady-from-the-Far-East department, but is a nicely put together little slice of almost-Elvis nostalgia. Stay cool, and see you in a week.


Tony
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Wednesday, August 09, 2006 4:08:00 PM

thank you for providing such good music.

I ~love~ this stuff!!!

..... bbb    



Saturday, August 26, 2006 1:31:00 PM

Bob Grabeau:

Bob is an unsung hero of mine! I'm glad
some one has found this rare sample of
his early work to share with the world!

Rick    



Friday, September 07, 2007 8:51:00 PM

Tony,
Thank you for the kind words about Mr. Grabeau! Not only does he have a velvety voice, but he is one of the kindest people I'll ever know. He is my uncle and was instrumental in showing me how be a true gentleman. Not by words but by actions. Any decent attributes I have today were gleaned from my Uncle Bob and his wife my Aunt Marge. Would the 45 be for sale? If not I truly understand.
Sincerely,
Edward Grabot
illustr8tor64@hotmail.com    



» Post a Comment