Rodd & Susie





:: Wishful Dreamer ::

:: You're My Baby Now ::

Is it time for another song poem single? Sure it is, because I’m too lazy to scan an LP cover and piece it together tonight. This one features Suzie Smith on the a-side, and our hero, Rodd Keith, on the flip. Rodd is singing “You’re My Baby Now,” with lyrics penned by a woman named Grace Brainerd, also lyric-writer to, “I’m Your Happy, Happy Guy,” which I posted a few weeks ago. Suzie Smith appeared as vocalist on a handful of Preview song poem singles from the mid-1960s, sometimes with Rodd as “Rodd & Suzie” or “Suzie and the Raindrops.” As Rodd was the leading composer for Preview during this time, it’s a safe bet that he composed the music on “A Wishful Dreamer.”

I enjoy these things immensely, if only for the small insights they give into the minds and souls of everyday folks who got suckered into squandering their cash for a shot at their dreams of music biz stardom. They’re even more interesting in that they’re performed by professional musicians, presumably with the same unfulfilled dreams and aspirations, who’ve resorted to pimping out their talents in order to make a living. Both sides feed off each other in sort of a sad way, brought together by a tiny, one-inch ad in the back of a magazine.


Phil
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Thursday, September 14, 2006 7:18:00 AM

OH BOY!!!!

..... bbb    



Saturday, September 23, 2006 10:32:00 AM

Hey Phil, I don't know if you do reposts but is there any way I could get the files for the earlier 45 by Rodd you posted called "Reseda/My Lovely Star"? Please and thank you!    



Saturday, September 23, 2006 4:01:00 PM

I am the ADORER of Rodd Keith goodies!

I just downloaded The Stylers, and I can tell you in general I like your blog a lot more when whole LPs are offered rather than a track here and a track there. But the diversity on your blog is awesome.    



» Post a Comment