A Lot More Insanity





:: Section 8 - The Age of Rock ::

It's hard enough for most working musicians to make any kind of real money without crummy radio stations waving a carrot in front of them called "Rock to Riches". Another one of those battle of the bands type things where local bands (Los Angeles in this case) eventually compete on a national level for a grand prize of $25,000.00 in "sound equipment" (1980 dollars) and a contract with Atlantic Records. I don't know who won this competition, but I can only hope it was the All Sports Band.

More than likely it wasn't Section 8. They weren't bad, but they were no Loverboy either. No doubt named after the much loved low income housing subsidy (or the military discharge that Klinger was always trying to get; I know because I had a band where this was one of my friend's ideas for our name - Ed.), they came off like a novelty act more than anything else. Although goofy, "The Age of Rock" sports some fine musicianship and by the time they start telling you about "today's music", well, hilarity ensues?



The music on this album was judged and produced by KLOS' "Uncle" Joe Benson, who's still spinning Bob Seger and 38 Special records on the venerable classic rock warhorse to this day.


MIKE
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Thursday, September 22, 2011 3:18:00 AM

I was the organ player in Section 8. We did rock with me Fred Clark,John DeVeries, John Comport, Scott Griffen (Rest his soul, he died in the fire at the Great White show back east)and Rick the bass player the call me "Frederick of Hollywood" John D. call me the "Rock Eater" was the song writer and the older wiser guitar player that was really the heart and soul of a band that could have been big. Matt Sorrum would come watch us. He was friends with most of the band members and had played in band with them like "Phophecy". Those where great times. I have a great section 8 photo shot in Laguna Beach in 1983. We did a Video the to for the song "Age of Rock" it was March 23rd 1983. I remember that because after we finished filming to video I had to drive to the hospital to help my wife have our beutiful dauther Karen Clark. I hope you got so insite on section 8, If you would like more info, contact me at frdclark2@gmail.com I'm a rock eater and I eat rocks.    



» Post a Comment