Scout Niblett





:: Scout Niblett - Miss My Lion ::

This Songs-Ohia / Scout Niblett split 7-inch was my introduction to both artists, and upon hearing it, I instantly fell for both of them. Each provides a song of love and misery from the perspective of a male or female lion. Though these songs have appeared on other releases of each artist, the best versions are arguably found on this little piece of out-of-print vinyl. Songs-Ohia’s Jason Molina shares a duet with Jim and Jennie & the Pine Tops’ Jennie Benford on “Lioness,” an achingly gorgeous song about a lion who’d rather have his heart savagely ripped out and eaten by his lover than exist alone and without her. Oh, how I’d love for you to hear this haunting recording for yourselves and watch as little goose-pimples pop up on your skin, but unfortunately there are moments in the song that are too hot for my $600 software recording-thingy to handle and it’s coming out all distorted. Fuck.

The flip, Scout Niblett’s “Miss My Lion,” is the demo version of a song that was later to appear on her debut LP, Sweet Heart Fever. Whereas the version on the LP is still very affecting, this version is flat-out ferocious. She’s absorbed the whole quiet/loud/quiet songbook protocol and added in a few roars and fang flashes, producing a hot slice of chick angst. I think I’ll record my own version, called “Miss My Penguin,” an ode to a 3-foot ceramic penguin that I prominently displayed in my living room before a crazy ex-girlfriend decided to “accidentally” smash it to pieces. Who wants to be on my record’s flipside with “The Penguiness?”


Phil
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Friday, November 17, 2006 12:13:00 PM

We share a bond! "The Lioness" reminds me of a (sort-of) girlfriend I once had who thought that Songs:Ohia would be a good soundtrack to our relationship. Obviously, our premise was flawed from the beginning. Still, I'd love to hear the A-side to this single. Hope your software stops messing with you.

I'm glad I found your blog. Lots of great mixtape fodder here!

A.    



Monday, February 22, 2010 10:14:00 PM

Hello there. I know this is very random and don't know if you will get this, but I've been looking for this record a while now and was wondering if you still had it and would considering selling it.

Please let me know.

Thank You,
Alex
Onejugofwine@aol.com    



» Post a Comment