Synth For Christmas





:: Angels We Have Heard On High ::

:: Good King Wenceslas ::

:: Deck The Halls ::

:: God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen ::

:: The First Noel ::

:: Here We Come A Caroling ::

:: We Wish You A Merry Christmas ::

It's funny how you can hear something for the first time and totally disregard it, and another time be fascinated by it. Maybe it's because I recently picked up a double CD set of Gershon Kingsley's Moog prayers, but when I slapped this vinyl bitch onto my trusty turntable tonight, I was slightly blown away.

This is a strange album, recorded by a merry gentleman by the name of Rob Meurer on a Synclavier. The sounds emitted range from classic BBC Workshop sounds, to LA Law theme music, to quasi-Residents mischief, to Taco Bell commercial. The first side is mostly comprised of full length songs, and I decided to only put up one of these, "Angels We Have Heard On High," because of the way cool ethereal intro. The real gold for me is on side two, where several yuletime favorites are presented in easy to digest nuggets. There's some really interesting choices of instrumentation, and some parts are so cheesy that it almost sounds like someone making synth music making fun of synth music, kind of like Mark Mothersbaugh's little pieces in A Life Aquatic. If what I've found on the Internet is correct, Mr. Meurer has some background in cheese, having played with Christopher Cross.

These would make great interstitial tracks on a cool kid's Christmas mix.


Tony
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Monday, January 01, 2007 10:08:00 AM

Well, what a lovely surprise to find my old lp blogged about. I recorded it in 1985, when Synclavier/Fairlight-type technology was new and thrilling. There was definitelty a big "whatever" in my attitude toward the album, as I recorded it for a friend's tiny label and had no supervision at all, no one else's expectations to play to. I was aiming toward the sublime to the ridiculous so I'm glad you hear it that way. Synth sounds always date, so if any of it holds up at all that's a bonus. And the Side 2 miniatures have always been my favorite tracks as well.

Thanks for the mention. Now if I could only track down the label guy and get some copies so the album would be available...

Rob Meurer

PS -- You might be surprised by some of the "cheese" that Mr. Cross has released since he fell from the public eye. If curious, try the CD called Red Room.    



Wednesday, January 03, 2007 8:34:00 AM

Awesome, Rob, thanks for saying hi and providing some insight on the recordings. I think this puppy was still sealed when I found it, and it really sounded cherry for 80's vinyl. It's funny how artists never seem to have copies of their old stuff, but I guess there will always be music nerds like us finding and sharing the most interesting of what fell through the cracks. Cheers.    



Sunday, January 14, 2007 1:20:00 AM

Desparately searching for another copy of the CD "A Synth For Christmas" by Rob Meurer... Had one but some how lost it. ANY help would be most appreciated!


Thanx!

eugeneus@aol.com
200701140315c
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~    



Monday, January 22, 2007 10:10:00 AM

I have some vinyl, but no CDs.    



Saturday, November 24, 2007 10:20:00 AM

Hurray....thanks a million for reposting this.    



Thursday, October 02, 2008 1:05:00 PM

Amazon has this listed. Misspelled (or should I say, "mispelled). "A Synth for Christma." Listed under Rob Meurer, correct spelling.

I had this in vinyl. I want to get it in vinyl again - so please post a note, someone, if you know where to find it in vinyl. Amazon has the CD.    



» Post a Comment