The Unnecessary Marking Of Vowels





:: Citinite ::

:: Wastelife ::

So, like, Fashion were this band from the UK, and they are all, like, new wavey and stuff. They wore clothes (well, I am just guessing this part) that would have looked alright on Pat Benatar, and tried to Eastern Europeanize their names and the names of their songs by adding vowel markers to make themselves seem more like outsiders (again, I am guessing.) FUCK! A spider just crawled across my keyboard. Ew!! DIE!!!

OK, so yeah, this band really tried to sound foreign, or maybe even alien, ala Gary Numan. I am sure they thought the future was bleak, but that in the present, you need to have a matching look and sound to make it in the music biz. The a-side features vocals not unlike a retarded Steve Harley, and lots of chorus-drenched guitar and some blurpy analog keyboard sounds. It's sort of schizophrenic, but after a few listens I sort of got it. The b-side entertains me more, with some wiry punk energy veering off into some reggae-ish stuff that falls somewhere between The Police and The Beat. From what I read, they got a little more synthy after this, so this might be as good they get.


Tony
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Tuesday, December 05, 2006 10:24:00 AM

I remember them. Pretty good in a sort of pretentious art school way. They weren't the only band guilty of using umlauts in their name. Mötley Crüe comes to mind.    



Wednesday, January 24, 2007 7:06:00 AM

More vowelation can be found on http://wiels.nl/blog/index.php?entry=entry070123-195806    



Thursday, October 30, 2008 12:23:00 PM

Damn the link has gone dead
Any chance you could re-post "Wastelife" because I love this track
RoB
Or maybe mail it to me
RoB.RoB.RoB@lycos.co.uk    



Tuesday, July 21, 2009 4:01:00 AM

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.    



» Post a Comment