The Real Who?





:: Sausalito Bay ::

:: Welcome To The Mighty East ::

:: Dancing Lights ::

Many a hopeful musical artist has nabbed a deal with a major label, only to find themselves very quickly back at square one, and probably at a factory job back in Cincinnati. In the case of Smokey and his Sister, who knows what became of them? No, I'd really like to know. If anyone out there does know, including Smokey and/or his Sister, please speak up.

Sometimes it's difficult to find any info about obscure artists via the world wide web, but if you don't know their surname, it can be really, really difficult. It struck me as kind of absurd to name your act "Smokey And His Sister", first off. What, his sister doesn't deserve to be called by name? At least the liner notes reveal her name is Viki, and she's 2 years Smokey's elder, but no where does it reveal their last name. Even the songwriting credits are simply "Smokey". If they wanted anonymity, they got it.

Actually Smoke & Sis had two major record deals. First with Columbia, where they released one single in 1967, Creators of Rain, which at least got them some notice because Claudine Longet covered it. I guess it didn't do as well as Columbia had hoped though, so they made the jump to Warner Bros, and cut an album's worth of material. My copy is a promo, and I have to wonder if it even made it to stores. Some of the songs are pretty good, and their whispery harmonies are charming, so what the heck. I just can't help but wonder what happened next?


Mike
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Friday, January 26, 2007 12:00:00 PM

Man, thanx for this, It doesnt get more obscure than this!! Kabooom!!    



Friday, February 02, 2007 7:00:00 AM

Smokey must have done pretty well with Creators of Rain as Columbia released a follow-up single, Would You Come Home/A Lot Of Lovin'. I remember hearing COR on NYC radio Ian & Sylvia also did a cover version. Although most copies I've seen are white label promos, I did have a green label stock copy.Claudine Longet also did Smokey's Love Can Never Die on her Run Wild, Run Free LP on A&M, perfectly suited to her breathy style. I would have thought that he'd stay in the business as a songwriter at least, but have seen nothing after the WB LP.    



Saturday, February 03, 2007 12:13:00 AM

Smokey's last name is Vims. I don't know anymore but like y'all I'd be very curious to find any info. I also haven't heard any of the cover versions but I do have the original 45 of CoR. I performed it with my musical partner in a duo called (rai)2,
pronounced Ray Squared    



Monday, February 05, 2007 11:54:00 AM

Thanks for the info, everyone. Tony actually found an interview with Sylvia (of Ian and...) in which it was revealed that Smokey's real name is Larry Mims. Now maybe it's Mims, or maybe it's Vims. In any case, there's something more to go on. Let's find Smokey and his Sister and tell them how much we love them.

Mike    



Thursday, February 15, 2007 1:40:00 PM

Hi Smokey name is Larry Mims I am his brother in law and still lives with my wife (smokeys sister also ) in Ky just across the river from cincinnati ohio. We have not heard from or about Smokey for over 25yrs . His sister Vickie married and moved to NJ had two children and became sick and just recently passed away. We would to hear from or about Larry so if anyone has and info please contact us at jamesdowney@fuse.net or Call me at 859-356-9546 anytime. Hope this helps.
Jim Downey    



Friday, January 25, 2008 7:21:00 PM

Hey, one year later and the Columbia album is out on CD! Yeah, a full album was recorded and never before released - only a couple of singles. The master tapes sound great, and it's a great album. It's on Sundazed records, distributed by BMG, so actually pretty easy to find.    



Thursday, February 21, 2008 4:51:00 PM

Larry 'Smoky' Mims is my bestfreiends some years ago. Michael is looking for He and Laney 323-465-9525    



Sunday, February 24, 2008 3:07:00 PM

Hello,

The cd put out in '07 I think it was by Sundazed has some really GREAT music, 'Creators of Rain' is indeed something special as are many others, it appears they have included both of Smokey and his Sister's singles + the b sides + 9 more unreleased songs, 13 songs in all

Smokey wrote a letter to Sundazed records in the summer of '07 thanking them, you can see it from a link from our page on this band which we'll soon expand.

We have a small section for them on a gallery in our Gateway 5 of the ~ 70s invasion, we also review many other obscure artists of the era of the 60s - 70s and before and some new music too, see this link here ~

http://robotperson.angelfire.com/SmokeyandhisSister.html

Were looking for the track listing of their original lp pictured above, and any rare photos/info of them as well, anyone have the tracklisting please write at skyelight7@yahoo.com    



Wednesday, January 14, 2009 3:14:00 PM

Here's the LP tracklisting...

Side 1:
1 Sausalito Bay
2 Some People
3 Morning Comes As Swiftly As The Rain
4 For All Intents And Purposes
5 Sheridan Square
6 Imagination (Strange As It May Be)

Side 2:
7 Welcome To The Mighty East
8 Lonely Together
9 The Time Is Now
10 Someday Morning
11 Dancing Lights
12 My Fondest Dream

The Time Is Now b/w Sheridan Square was also released as a mono promo single. The former's a single edit/remix with pumped up vocals; Sheridan Square sounds identical to the album version to my ears, albeit mono.    



Tuesday, February 03, 2009 12:59:00 PM

Holy Toledo! I just spoke with Smokey (Larry) on the telephone. He is such an awesome man! So nice, kind and one of the warmest, gentlest souls I've ever had the pleasure of speaking with. Told him I had the album with him and his sister sitting on the rocks and the sunset in the background but that I had let it go a few years back (stupid me!) and did he know where I might get another copy of the album. He said he didn't have one but that he would try to find out where one could be had and get back to me. Gosh, I sure hope I hear from him soon! All my prayers and good thoughts go you to you, Smokey!    



Friday, February 06, 2009 9:19:00 AM

One reason Smokey & His Sister are remembered by a few of us is a rave review of the "Creators of Rain" single in an early issue of Crawdaddy, the first true r&r mag.

I probably have it somewhere but, if so, it's irretrievable for all practical purposes. I still have the 45, though, purchased at the time. I'm sure the Claudine Longet version put a few bucks in Larry's pocket, but it pales in the face of the original.    



Wednesday, March 25, 2009 10:46:00 AM

Bobbi in Lima, Ohio
I got the Smokey and his Sister album on e-bay a couple weeks back. Now have to get a turntable that will make it into a CD on my computer. Then I'm sending a copy to Smokey!    



Thursday, April 16, 2009 6:27:00 AM

I downloading some tunes on emusic
just the other night and found a version of Creators of rain by someone named BOZ and its now on my mp3 player. It's nowhere as good as the original but it is the same song. I did some checking cause I've never heard of him and it turns out he played with Bad Co. for years and also with King Crimson, where he learned how to play bass.    



Saturday, December 10, 2011 4:45:00 PM

This should be reissued on record (LP)
Seriously....It's that amazing!

Perhaps next Christmas!

Cheers!    



Monday, April 01, 2013 11:27:00 AM

A fictionalized version of this duo--and the mystery surrounding them--features heavily in Iza Moreau's novel "Madness in Small Towns."    



Thursday, November 24, 2016 4:18:00 PM

Im smokey niece news flash my uncle smokey died in 2004 funny how he spoke to him an victoria was my mother call ur lawyers gettin sue oh an i have tht MISSING RECORED ALL OF THEM    



Monday, August 21, 2017 4:45:00 PM

Is there any obituaries ?

Thanks

Rob    



Friday, August 25, 2017 5:52:00 PM


Hi Amy drake it's your niece liz lol and viki mims was my grandmother
   



Tuesday, September 25, 2018 7:22:00 PM

I am a Smokey/Sister fanatic! I still have my Crawdaddy issue with the rave about Creators of Rain, and the Columbia single. Ian & Sylvia's version is okay, but Claudine's bites donkey's, big time!David Rubinson (producer/arranger) of this lives in SFO now (if he's still alive). I'd love to talk with him about Larry "Smokey" Mims.

Doug Jones
Pacifica
   



Wednesday, July 03, 2019 11:10:00 PM

gucci belts
adidas ultra
lebron 15 shoes
curry 4 shoes
moncler coat
michael kors outlet
off white clothing
converse outlet store
timberland
balenciaga
   



Saturday, August 13, 2022 3:02:00 AM

moncler
off white clothing
kyrie 6
adidas yeezy
golden goose sneakers
curry 6
jordan 1
yeezy 500 blush
yeezy 350 v2
golden goose outlet
   



Friday, December 15, 2023 3:33:00 AM

fear of god clothing
supreme clothing
goyard
jordan 1 high
supreme new york
   



» Post a Comment