Young, Lovely and Marriageable





:: I'm Marriageable Age ::

:: First Love Waltz ::

Ah, the innocence and charming naivete of the pretty, young Japanese woman. I happened to see this record on eBay, and although I had no way of knowing who the singer was, or even the song titles, the picture of the girl on the label sold me. Turns out, her name is Yukiko Nomura. I don't know much about her, except that she was a successful pop singer in the 1950s. Apparently she retired from singing (perhaps to raise a family?) and passed away in 2000 at age 62. The "A" side, "I'm Marriageable Age" is a swinging, teasing delight. How can you not fall in love? The "B" side, "First Love Waltz" is more along the lines of traditional Japanese pop with Yukiko showcasing another side of her considerable talents. All in all, a great find and I'm proud to own it. Many thanks to my good friend Masahiro for translating and providing much needed information.


Mike
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Thursday, March 22, 2007 1:31:00 PM

amazing!    



Friday, March 23, 2007 5:47:00 AM

On Columbia, there is Peggy Hayama, a jazzier singer, that is very interesting too. She still sings. Her 78's have the same kind of illustrated labels.
(Ebay had some recently but I lost them to somebody richer than me).
Thanks for sharing Nomura with us!    



» Post a Comment