Chunk Of Chamberlain





:: Theme From Dr.Kildare (Three Stars Will Shine Tonight) ::

:: A Kiss to Build a Dream On ::

:: All I Have to Do is Dream ::

:: Hi-Lili, Hi-Lo ::

I spent the ‘60s twinkling in my daddy’s eye, so I never thought of Richard Chamberlain as a teen idol for his starring role on Dr. Kildare. Had I been around, I might’ve known he’d enjoyed a brief stint as a pop star, topping the charts with six songs off of his 1962 debut, Richard Chamberlain Sings, released to capitalize on his television popularity. I became aware of Chamberlain later, when he was getting pissed on in Shōgun and doing his part to usher in an era of bad television mini-series movies. So, when I came across these two singles from that debut album, I was thinking I might be getting some good “golden throat” type celebrity stuff, but surprisingly found the music is pretty good. Well, pretty good in a bland, tame sort of way.

Today we’ve got his most popular hit, “Theme from Dr. Kildare,” which went to number 4 on the US charts that year, and a Louis Armstrong favorite on the b-side, “A Kiss to Build a Dream On.” Next is a single released the following year in 1963, both sides containing songs whose best known versions were recorded by the Everly Brothers – “All I Have to Do is Dream” and “Hi-Lili, Hi-Lo.” Chamberlain’s versions went to #6 and #18 respectively on the US charts that year.


Phil
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Friday, April 13, 2007 6:54:00 PM

You may be surprised to know that he recorded "(They Long To Be) Close To You" a decade before the Carpenters. Certainly surprised me hearing it after I bought one of his albums at a thrift store (also expecting "Golden Throats"-type wackiness) .    



Thursday, May 31, 2007 10:38:00 AM

sounds as if Mr. Chamberlain had a background in musical theater, like a surprising number of actors,
including al pacino, james cagney,
Christopher Walken, and many others.
He sounds more like dinner theater
quality, though. David Soul and eddie murphy are the biggest surprises for me per quality you wouldn't expect.    



» Post a Comment