A Kiwi Belter





:: One Day ::

:: I Must Have Been Out Of My Mind ::

Have we covered New Zealand yet? Maybe not. So this here ready-for-Vegas crooner is of Maori descent and has very big hair. These numbers are sung a little bit Elvis, a little bit Tom Jones, and almost a little bit Scott Walker. Rowles was already playing Vegas by age 21, and has maintained a steady career in Europe and the Pacific Rim ever since. He was once in a band called The Dingdongers, but I also read that he holds a black belt in Karate, so I won't press that point too much. Speaking of belts, he really likes to belt it out at certain points, and I don't think my soundcard could handle it. It's gonna tickle yer ear hairs.


Tony
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Wednesday, April 18, 2007 10:40:00 PM

To me, Fowles sounds the love child of Tom Jones and Engelbert Humperdinck. The similarities in tone and style are uncanny. Norrie Paramour was a successful English record producer. He made records with Cliff Richard, among others.    



Thursday, May 31, 2007 9:52:00 AM

In every era, you have copycats,
singers who ape the popular singers/bands of the day...in the early 80's, everyone sounded like steve perry, in the late 70's, the brothers gibb had a zillion copycats..in the late 60's, you hand a bunch of singers and A and R people trying to become/find the next Tom Jones...This almost sounds more Tom Jones than Tom Jones himself. "One Day" I could
easily imagine being a hit for
Tom Jones, as a more low-key number.
Of course you can simply look at this Maori as "Don Ho with balls".
I think that says it all actually....    



» Post a Comment