Well, You Succeeded






:: Steeplechase ::

:: I Want To Be A Clone ::

:: Whatever Happened To Sin? ::

:: Written Guarantee ::

:: Bad Rap (Who You Tryin' To Kid Kid? ::

:: Whatcha Gonna Do When Your Number's Up? ::

Well, you know what a zany look on your face and the garb of a prop comedian means, don'tcha? That's correct -- irreverent New Wave! But this is irreverent Christian New Wave; we haven't covered that base here yet, have we? Now, having thrown out that slightly frightening phrase, I have to say that it's not as bad as it sounds.

It's a tinge ironic that a mini-album called I Want To Be A Clone would find Steve imitating every quirky herky-jerky New Wave band he'd probably ever heard, but as these sort of things go, he keeps it pretty interesting. It's certainly no worse than a lot of New Wave music about nukes or dancing that came out around the same time. As with a lot of music that's trying hard to have a point, the lyrics are the hardest part to swallow. I give the guy credit, though. He's definitely not a sheep. In fact, in 1987 he did a song called "I Blew Up The Clinic Real Good," an anti-blowing-up-abortion-clinics song that of course got the album it appeared on banned from some Christian record stores. So, as a Christian guy not afraid to speak his mind about hypocrisy, he's probably had plenty to write about over the years.

The "Bad Rap" tune is a must hear for bad rap fans, as it gloriously romps through the minefield of trying to imitate rap with that cadence that was only used in real rap in its earliest stages. Particularly funny, to me at least, is that as the song trails off, you can just barely hear "Grandmaster Flash gonna get a rash," which to me sounds like someone muttering under their breath just loud enough to make themselves feel tough without being heard and getting their ass kicked. Or like the opening scene in Office Space, with the white dude listening to gangster rap while stuck in traffic. You know the one, right? Well, watch that movie then! It's good!



Tony
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Monday, May 07, 2007 8:10:00 AM

Ha. As a preacher's kid, and before I discovered Gang of Four, I had this album, along with others of his. Just rediscovered him recently on BT and have to say - this stuff really was a lot of fun.    



Monday, May 07, 2007 9:05:00 AM

Wow. I haven't thought about ol' Steve in a long while. I grew up Southern Baptist, and his stuff was considered pretty "edgy" in the 80's.
He is the only christian artist I still listen to. It still stands up musically, unlike the rest of "christian rock". Thanks!    



Wednesday, May 09, 2007 7:17:00 PM

Thanks loads! Great stuff which I haven't heard for decades since my cassette wore out!

I would love to see more of this sort of thing.

SRW    



Saturday, October 04, 2008 11:01:00 AM

Hi.

I bought the ''Meltdown'' album of Steve and liked it very mĀ“uch! :)

i see that this download is no longer avalible.. can you please re-upload this?    



» Post a Comment