Winners!(?)





:: Just Like In The Movies ::



:: Music, Sex, And Cookies ::



:: Give A Care ::



I received this record from my good friend Kevin (of Pop Zeus fame) during a memorable birthday celebration held in the presidential suite of a posh San Fransisco hotel last November. After much good cheer, Kevin went off to sleep in the closet, as usual, while the rest of us stared at this album and wondered what it might sound like. Well, unfortunately it's not as good as I might have hoped, or actually, it's too good. Problem is, it's just not bad/funny enough to make it very interesting.

Side one of the collection features the winners of the various "professional" categories, while side two is dedicated to the amateurs. Actually though, it's pretty hard to tell the difference. Contestants were encouraged to submit entries on cassettes, but the American Song Festival is quick to point out that the masters for this album came from high quality reel to reel tapes. Considering these recordings date back to 1979-80, and the emphasis is squarely on the mainstream, just about all of these "winners" are pretty damn bland.

The 3 songs I've chosen are from the amateur side. Ironically, the Top 40 winner, "Just Like in The Movies" by Steve Skovran clocks in at nearly 6 minutes. A bit lengthy for Top 40, but it's kinda catchy, i think. George Uetz's "Music, Sex and Cookies" was chosen for obvious reasons, and amateur Folk winner, "Give A Care" by Alan Hale (?) is mildly amusing as well. I haven't researched it extensively, and if I'm wrong please enlighten me, but as far as I know, none of these people went on to great careers as song writers, which is typical of a collection like this, but thanks to the ASF transferring these tunes from reel to reel to vinyl, we can still hear this shit in 2007. Good thing or bad thing? You decide.


Mike
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 9:46:00 AM

to borrow from The Minutemen:
a 3-Way Tie (For Last)

-Jude    



Wednesday, May 23, 2007 6:30:00 PM

Alan Hale?!    



Monday, May 28, 2007 9:03:00 AM

why isn’t the WHOLE Skovran song added? The download ends at 1.9 mb...    



Wednesday, May 30, 2007 1:48:00 PM

Try yer Skovran now, matey.

Mike    



Thursday, May 31, 2007 6:26:00 AM

bob's yer uncle

thanx mike    



Wednesday, November 21, 2007 11:27:00 PM

Wow, interesting to stumble upon this 27 years later. I'm hoping to get back to creating some more "Boston-inspired crapola" as the local Music rag called "Movies" in a 1980 review.
Thanks for putting this up.

Steve Skovran    



Thursday, June 11, 2009 3:03:00 PM

I've been looking for the Uetz mp3 for a long time. I see it was once posted here. Any chance it will come back or can be had somehow?
RYAN    



Wednesday, January 27, 2010 11:00:00 AM

Alan Hale is alive and well. Not a famous songwriter perhaps, but the Pied Piper of the family. I should know... I'm one of 3 younger sisters who have witnessed his talent for years!    



Wednesday, January 27, 2010 8:28:00 PM

Alan Hale is my dad and still a great musician, when he actually plays! Poetic lyrics even by today's standards, "my star fell like a fallen rose because of me the life I chose. Now I wish I lived there too. My daddy's world the world of you."    



Friday, January 29, 2010 12:46:00 AM

Well said, Steven.    



Saturday, August 13, 2022 3:01:00 AM

kawhi leonard shoes
moncler
off white outlet
nike kyrie 5
supreme outlet
   



» Post a Comment