The Henson Touch





:: Do Me Wrong But Do Me ::

:: Like Baby Could ::

:: Love Could Be So Easy ::

:: Goin' Through The Motions ::

:: Don't Wait Too Long ::

:: God Only Knows ::

:: Spread Your Love On Me ::

:: Part Time Lady ::

:: Crying Alone In Your Sleep ::

:: Laugh Til I Cry ::

Some time back I wrote a piece about a 45 that had become beloved to me, and some time after that, a friend happened upon the full length album. He passed on it because it was like $15.00. I held it in my hands a few times over the next month or so, also not wanting to spend that much. Once it dropped closer to ten bucks, I finally bit, figuring I should've picked it up in the first place and knowing it would probably be a long while before I ever saw it again.



Well, there's no other track that hits me like "Do Me Wrong But Do Me" did, but the vinyl sounds great, and after a few listens, I was still digging what Tim Henson was dishing. Listening to the arrangements and instrumentation, this was certainly a real shot at breaking him into the bigtime, and to me it certainly does sound exactly like what 1975 sounded like. If someone had given the guy a stronger single than "Do Me Wrong But Do Me," I can see him holding a place as a one hit wonder, one of those artists whose song you know but have trouble pulling the name out, like Walter Egan or Paul Davis. But even that sort of notoriety is hard to get. Three songs on the album were penned by Henson himself, but were tucked away at the end of the album. Showbiz ain't easy.


Tony
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 10:10:00 AM

Long Live Henson.    



Thursday, August 23, 2007 2:33:00 AM

when i first saw the name henson, i thought it was some weird jim henson album. i've never heard of this guy. if the song 'do me wrong but do me' was better, it could've been a hit. that title rocks.    



Thursday, August 23, 2007 6:21:00 PM

Paul Davis, a "one hit wonder"??? Not sure which "one" you speak of, but he had at least 3: I Go Crazy, Sweet Life and '65 Love Affair.    



Tuesday, August 28, 2007 11:10:00 AM

Let me clarify what I meant by Paul Davis being a one hit wonder. I Go Crazy was a huge hit for that guy, and while pretty much anyone alive in the 70's knows that song, very few people know who did it. He's technically not a one hit wonder, he's a one big hit wonder that no one remembers by name. Well, except music nerds and people who owned the 45 back in the day.

His other hits (you forgot Cool Night, which is better than those other 2 you mentioned, especially '65 Love Affair. That cheerleader part always made me ill.) were definitely on the radio, but weren't as ubiquitous as I Go Crazy.

I was just looking it up, and '65 Love Affair made it to #6 on the Billboard charts, while I Go Crazy peaked at #7. The difference is that I Go Crazy stayed in the Hot 100 for 40 straight weeks, a record at the time (since broken over and over and over.) So I stand by what I said, because most people would remember I Go Crazy, not those other singles.

And next time I am referencing OMC.    



Sunday, September 23, 2007 2:59:00 PM

"God Only Knows" why you were so affected by "Do Me Wrong, But Do Me", perhaps the weakest track on the LP. It might even be soft rock, if only it rocked ... Hey, I've got soft spots for otherwise undistinguished tracks, like The Beatles singing "Anna"

But thank you for sharing this album with us! Henson's artistry really shines on a few tracks: "Going Through The Motions" is much more than that, while the last three tracks "Part Time Lady", "Crying Alone In Your Sleep" and "Laugh Til I Cry" are both melodic and moving.

And next time an opportunity like this comes along - even at $15 - "Don't Wait Too Long"!

Regards,
Yahya    



Monday, September 24, 2007 10:44:00 AM

EeeGads! I'm a sucker for good/bad 70s soft rock, but geez louise "Do Me Wrong..." is terrible. It makes "Afternoon Delight" sound like a Queen anthem in comparison.

I love Record Robot.    



Sunday, September 30, 2007 11:07:00 AM

....this tim henson excavation makes rolling stone,spin magazine ect....look like ridicules pamphlets...    



» Post a Comment