Dee's Nuggets





:: Sing ::

:: Danny's Song ::

:: Tie A Yellow Ribbon Round The Old Oak Tree ::

:: Harbor Lights ::

:: Love Train ::

:: Vincent ::

:: Killing Me Softly With His Song ::

:: Teddy Bear Song ::

:: Ain't No Woman (Like The One I've Got) ::

:: Everything's Been Changed ::

:: Also Sprach Zarathrustra (2001) ::


What better way to start your Valentines Day than the almost lunatic cheeriness of Lenny Dee tackling the AM hits of the early seventies? This is some relentlessly sunny stuff, and even your grandparents might dig it. Hell, your great grandparents probably could have dug it.

Some of these tunes naturally lend themselves to the chirpy, Welkian treatments they are given here, like Tie A Yellow Ribbon. Some not as much. Love Train turns from pumpernickel to Wonder Bread. I'm not sure quite how to describe what he did to the main theme from 2001, but it's interesting.



You might not really pick up on it from listening to these latter day tracks, but Mr.Dee was an interesting and even experimental artist. I picked up a few other of his LP's, also later period releases, at the same time I got this one, and now I'm kind of excited to hear those.

I was trying to pare down the selections to a manageable amount, but they each have their own merits and hey, how should I know what soft nugget you'd like to hear?


Tony
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Friday, February 15, 2008 9:00:00 PM

wow. I must be gettin' old!! I truly find this album soothing and relaxing. - Stereo    



Thursday, February 21, 2008 9:27:00 AM

This version of Also Sprach Zarathrustra appears in the Peter Sellars movie Being There. Thanx for posting this!    



Thursday, February 21, 2008 9:28:00 AM

No kidding? I recently saw that movie and never even noticed. Of course, I hadn't listened to my Lenny Dee albums yet.    



Monday, December 01, 2008 12:10:00 PM

Dee's "organ with a beat" type albums, just him and a drummer, are amazing. Plantation Boogie is a good example of Dee's prowess on the organ. It should be noted his choice of organ and the latter's "settings" changed a lot over the years. I find the earliest stuff the best.

Thanks for posting this particular LP which I, suprisingly, don't have.

B.    



» Post a Comment