Bedrockin'





:: Bedrock Rap/Meet The Flintstones ::

:: Take Me Out To The Ballgame ::

We all get bad ideas; terrible concepts, the perfect band name, plays on words that seem remarkably clever upon conception. And most of us later realize that our ideas aren't quite so remarkable, either by the cold hard light of later reflection, or even more quickly by a "who farted?" look from the first person you tell. That being said, I have to say I admire those who take their terrible ideas and push them through to fruition. Anyone can come up with a shitty idea, but it takes a certain kind of person to stick with their shitty idea and make it a shitty reality. And I am fairly certain the motivation is usually not the love of the idea itself, but money. I am sure this 12" was made with the idea that they might have the next Dr. Demento "hit," or become a contemporary of Weird Al Yankovic.

So let's start at the root of this bad idea. It's actually the only clever part of the entire thing -- changing Springsteen to Springstone. Perfect. Let's go over the rest, then. It's a Bedrock version of Bruce Springsteen covering both the theme from The Flintstones and what is ostensibly the official theme of baseball, Take Me Out To The Ballgame. Also, Clarence Clemons is a dinosaur. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but they followed through. And now that I've actually looked into this, here's some back story.

So it was done for shits and giggles, and actually did get played on Dr. Demento, evidently selling around 100,000 copies. Perhaps the most interesting thing for me about this slab is that lead guitar is handled by one Tommy Keene, power pop luminary and current Robert Pollard co-conspirator. I couldn't believe it was the same guy when I first saw the liners, but between the fact that this is from Baltimore and having someone actually check with Tommy Keene, I can confirm it. So, uh, PLAY BALL!


Tony
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Friday, June 13, 2008 9:21:00 PM

Hey, I've *got* a copy of this!    



Wednesday, June 18, 2008 10:43:00 AM

Sorry to rain on your snark, but this is funny and clever.    



Thursday, June 19, 2008 11:37:00 PM

I'll have to say that I found the music wonderfully horrible. But the writeup was fantastic. Good work, Robot.    



Monday, August 11, 2008 8:51:00 PM

wow, unpossible, but I actually have a copy of this as well - I had completely forgotten about it until now. I blame you.    



Saturday, November 08, 2008 5:42:00 AM

Somebody's trash is somebody else's treasure. I've come across records in my time I enjoyed quite a bit and when I tried to look them up online, there's always seemingly somebody who thinks it's cute to post it in a bad music blog.

But, hey, to each their own. Everything finds an audience. Heck, even Soul Plane managed to make money, so who am I to judge?

But as far as this song goes: I remember hearing this on Dr. Demento back in "the day." (These days I can't seem to find his program anywhere!) I loved it, and regardless if you're trashing on it, I appreciate you posting this.    



Friday, October 09, 2020 3:13:00 AM

https://mayakkazhchakal.blogspot.com/2011/04/blog-post.html?showComment=1602237693063#c2373555974258690737    



Friday, October 09, 2020 3:45:00 AM

I will be looking forward to your next post. Thank you
แทงมวยออนไลน์ คือ อะไร? ทำไมคนชอบแทงมวย? "    



Friday, October 09, 2020 11:39:00 PM

I will be looking forward to your next post. Thank you
สล็อตออนไลน์ ส่งตรงจากค่ายดัง สุดมัน! "    



» Post a Comment