RIP Jerry Cole





:: 007 Rides Again ::

:: Mo Jo ::

:: Ripple Blues ::

:: Mustang ::

:: Dang Thing ::

:: Coming On ::

:: Unchained Soul ::

:: One For The Money ::

:: Great Scott ::

:: Movin' On. ::

A couple of years ago, I posted this article about Jerry Cole in these very pages. The last paragraph went like this:

Funny how at the time it was like, "yeah, these old guys are pretty good", but when you learn a little back story, it becomes much more exciting and somehow, relevant. Oh well, next time I see those guys, I'll appreciate them more. If I live long enough.

Well, I'm sorry to report that I outlived the great Jerry Cole, who passed away a couple of weeks ago of a heart attack at his home in Corona, CA. I gave a brief synopsis of his career in that other post, and his MySpace page is informative and entertaining, so I won't go into much about him now except to say that pop music, and especially instrumental rock of the '60s wouldn't have sounded quite like it did without him.

I'm always on the lookout for his many hard to find records, many of which did not give any indication he was involved. I found this one on ebay, and couldn't seem to find anything about it anywhere, so I picked it up on the off chance it was "rare". Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, but it's definitely prime Cole. Rock on, Jerry.


Mike

Note from Tony: We really did love the Cole, this was very sad to hear.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Thursday, June 12, 2008 4:03:00 PM

Great stuff, thanks!

Man, that fuzz guitar on "Mustang" is HECTIC.    



Friday, June 13, 2008 3:42:00 AM

Good stuff. Any chance of a re-up of some of the earlier stuff?
LA Times Obit    



Friday, June 13, 2008 9:37:00 AM

This comment has been removed by the author.    



Friday, June 13, 2008 9:37:00 AM

"Any chance of a re-up of some of the earlier stuff?"

I second that emotion.    



Friday, June 13, 2008 7:52:00 PM

Based on the tracklist, it appears to be a repress of the Guitars A Go Go LP that was on Crown, but in a generic jacket. Look here (under February 13) for images of the cover of the first volume and a second volume. BTW I'm pretty sure Cole's name does not appear on the Crown version.

Definitely a nice guitar LP find, and i didn't realize until now this was by the same guy in that was in The Id.

endwar    



Thursday, November 13, 2008 7:03:00 AM

Great post/blog, 007 indeed. Digging the Wichita Lineman. OC Smith, Mendes and Dudley not working. Great stuff. Thanks.    



» Post a Comment