Yank My Doodle, It's A Dandy





:: The Star Spangled Banner ::

:: The Yankee Doodle Boy ::

:: America The Beautiful ::

:: You're A Grand Old Flag ::

:: Conquest of the American Wilderness ::

:: The Stars And Stripes Forever ::

It just dawned on me that the weird little Christmas album I have that I haven't gotten around to posting is by the very same guy who did this, which I picked for the very same reason -- something "seasonal" to post. What I'd never bothered to find out was who this Joseph Byrd fellow was. Turns out I'd heard his work before; he was the leader of psych-electro-weirdos United States of America. Fitting he'd do album of synth ditties celebrating the US of A.

OK, so the title of this, and the boobies, and the Yellow Submarine quality keyboard wackness on the front might've gotten my hopes up a little for this one. I love the fact that he was able to squeeze 22 songs on here, but I have to say I was disappointed with the overall weirdness, at least initially. But I listen back to some of this stuff, and it really is pretty fucking weird. I got completely confused trying to keep track of where songs ended on side A, so I have decided to cherry pick the most obvious and patriotic songs, along with the one original by Byrd (which isn't very musical, especially in contrast with the other chirpy, cheery numbers), called "Conquest of the American Wilderness," which I guess maybe is supposed to sound like the trampling feet of progress screwing up the natural habitat of the cicada. Or something like that.

Anyway, I hope everyone has a nice long 4th of July weekend here in the greatest nation in the universe; may you BBQ proud and imbibe like an off duty sentry. The rest of the world, I want you to join us. I mean in doing that stuff, not in any broader political sense.


Tony
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Wednesday, July 02, 2008 5:58:00 PM

cool spot rec-bot!
cheers!
the devil    



Friday, July 25, 2008 5:28:00 PM

I really enjoyed hearing this gem!    



Thursday, January 15, 2009 12:49:00 PM

FINEFINEFINE
i looked years for this.
but would be nice to hear te rest...
thx anyway    



Monday, January 26, 2009 9:00:00 AM

I bought this LP when it was first issued, appreciate the digital files, maybe you could post the rest?

Thanks.    



Friday, March 13, 2020 4:44:00 AM

Very good post . โปรโมชั่น

รีวิว

   



» Post a Comment